Site Menu

What to Do After You filed or e-filed an IRS Tax Extension

efile now, it is the right time.


Important: The 2017 tax return deadline is April 18, 2018. If you miss this tax deadline, the final deadline to e-file a 2017 tax return - with or without an extension - is October 15, 2018. Late Filing Fees might apply if you did not e-file a Tax Extension by April 18, 2018. Start your income tax return or tax extension below:

Start Your 2017 Tax Return Now!

Now that you have filed or e-filed a IRS income tax extension, you have met your filing requirements (until October 15), but NOT your payment obligations if you owe taxes.

If you did not file a tax return or extension by April 18, you have until October 15, 2018 to e-file your 2017 Tax Return. Late Filing Penalties will apply.

What if your tax extension was rejected?

If the IRS did not accept your extension, you should efile your tax return as soon as possible. You should do this even if you can't yet afford to pay the taxes you owe.

How Do I Know if Late Penalties Apply to Me?

If you owe taxes and did not pay them on April 18, IRS penalties and interest might still accrue based on the amount you owe, even if you have a filed and accepted extension.

Whether you filed a tax extension because you weren't ready to file a tax return, or because you weren't able to pay your taxes, the steps below will guide you through what to do next.

Step 1: Get Ready to File Your Return

Did you get an extension because you couldn't pay your taxes? Then move on to Steps 2 and 3, below.

Did you get an extension because you did not have all the documents you needed to prepare a return? If so, you should contact any employers and other entities that owe you information. If you don't owe taxes, then you won't face penalties until after October 15. If you do owe taxes, interest and penalties will add up until you pay your balance due. Step 3 will show you your payment options.

Step 2: File Your Tax Return

Please sign into your account below to start/continue and efile your tax return:

Sign in to your return

How Do I Get Help on My Tax Return? 

Please do not hesitate to contact us for help with your tax return.

Contact Tax Support

Step 3: Pay Your Taxes or Set Up Tax Payments

You should be aware that a tax extension only extends your filing deadline; it does not extend your time to pay. To avoid late payment penalties, you should pay your balance due or set up an alternate arrangement.

You have a few options when it comes to paying your balance due to the IRS, depending on whether or not you have the funds available.

If You Have the Funds to Pay Your Taxes

  • Direct Bank Transfer: You can make a quick online payment directly from your bank account when you are preparing your tax return online.
  • Mail a Check or Money Order:If you efiled, a payment voucher will be generated with your return. You can use this to pay with a check or money order.
  • Credit or Debit Card: Pay online with your credit card or debit card. Note that there is a "convenience" fee based on the amount you pay.

See more details about the above direct tax payment options.

If You DON'T Have the Funds to Pay Your Taxes

  • Short-Term Extension of Time to Pay: If you will be able to pay your balance due within 120 days, you can call the IRS to see if you can qualify for a short-term extension of time to pay. If you are approved, you might still accrue interest and/or penalties on your balance as well as the application fee for an installment agreement.
  • Installment Plan: If you owe no more than $50,000, you may qualify for an installment agreement with the IRS. There is a non-refundable $105 fee to apply, and you might still owe interest and/or penalties to the IRS for late payment.

  • Offer-in-Compromise: This is really your last resort and is not an option for most taxpayers. It is an offer to pay off your tax debt for lower than the amount you owe. The IRS will only ever approve this if they believe that they will never be able to obtain the full amount from you, because of your financial circumstances.

See more details about the above tax payment installment plan options.

What if My Extension Was Rejected?

After April 18, 2018 (Tax Day) the IRS will no longer accept extensions (even if they were rejected on April 18).

If the IRS did not accept your extension by April 18, 2018, it is imperative that you efile or file your tax return as soon as possible. You should do this even if you can't yet afford to pay the taxes you owe.

The penalty for paying late is 0.5% of your balance due (per month), but the penalty for filing late is much worse: 5% of your balance due. So, you should file a return ASAP to avoid additional filing penalties, even if you cannot yet pay any taxes you may owe. See Step 2.

If you don't owe taxes, generally there are no penalties for filing late. This is because penalties are a percentage of the amount you owe. But the later you file, the later you will get any refund you have coming.

If you owe taxes, penalties and interest will begin to accrue after April 18. The worst penalties are for filing late, so you should go ahead and file your tax return now, even if you can't afford to pay what you owe. After you file or efile your return, you can set up a payment plan with the IRS to avoid further penalties and interest. See Step 3.