TurboTax®, H&R Block®, or eFile.com Taxpert®?
Like all apples are not created equal, not all online tax preparation services are created equally. Where should you prepare and electronically file your taxes this year?
Don't Get TurboCharged!
Taxes can be confusing, overwhelming, and even intimidating - but selecting an online tax preparation service shouldn't be. So many choices, so little time: eFile.com vs. H&R Block® vs. TurboTax®. Once you have reviewed the comparisons below, the choice is easy!
With the eFile.com Auto-Tax-Form-Select Tool, you never have to worry about which tax service level (Free, Deluxe, or Premier) to select before you start preparing and filing your taxes. One less thing to worry about! Your tax service level will be automatically up or downgraded after you start with a different level if applicable, unlike with H&R Block® and TurboTax®, who will try to charge and upgrade you. See how much "free" tax services actually are.
Dare to Compare IT
Don't Get TurboCharged or Blocked
When You Can eFilelT!
Average Federal Fee1)
$29.95 One Low Price For
ALL States Not PER Paid State
PER Paid State
PER Paid State
1) Subject to change.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc. H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.
Simply click any eFile.com start button and we will do the rest for you. We will select the legally correct—and least expensive—tax forms for you based on the information you enter. You can have peace of mind knowing that you get the tax forms that will guarantee you the highest possible tax refund - or lowest taxes due payment - at the lowest possible price.
Service, Price Comparisons
See how eFile.com compares. You will get more for less. Learn more about each of the eFile.com Tax Preparation Services. eFile offers a great percentage of savings as well as a flat rate for any amount of state tax returns, compared to others who charge per return in addition to an early e-file fee.
Free Basic Edition
up to $35 less
up to $40 less
up to 69% less
One State Return
Two States Returns
Three State Returns
Only eFile.com offers ONE LOW PRICE of $29.95 for unlimited state returns, while TurboTax® and H&R Block® both charge a higher price and charge PER STATE. Find out how you can ONLY prepare and file one or more state return(s) for only ONE LOW PRICE of $29.95 without e-filing your federal tax return. Start free here and only pay when you are satisfied with your return.
Lowest Service Prices
Lowest State Return Prices
Lowest Deduct From Refund Fee
Online Tax Preparation Feature Comparisons
The comparison chart below shows you that eFile.com offers a better value with more benefits. Compare each eFile.com Tax Preparation Services Package in more detail.
Auto Service/Price Downgrade
No Service/Price Upgrade Pressure
Unlimited State Returns for One Low Price
Service Price Match Guarantee
Lowest Deduct From Refund Fee
Lowest Bank Deposit Processing Fee
Refund Deposited to Account Instead of a Card with Fees
All Packages Start for Free
Import Prior Year Information (All Packages)
100% Calculation Accuracy Guarantee
More Tax Service Comparisons
- See detailed eFile.com tax service features.
- Only eFile.com offers Meet n' Beat, a service price match guarantee: If you find a lower online tax preparation fee for the exact same service, we will not only Meet this price, but we will also Beat it! Simply contact us about your "Meet 'n Beat" price. Note: The competitor's price must be presented before payment on eFile.com. Meet n' Beat does not apply retroactively after payment has been made.
- We do not share or sell your data. Your personal data is only used to prepare and eFile your taxes. Other sites might use your data to not only sell you other financial services but might even sell your tax data. Not on eFile.com! Read how eFile.com ensures security on our site and review how we keep your information private.
Taxpayer Feedback From OTHER Sites
Taxpayers just like you posted the feedback below about OTHER tax preparation sites. These comments are not about eFile.com, but from experiences users had on other online tax preparation sites. See eFile.com feedback from real users here.
- ******** claims it works you through the process but it explains nothing and doesn't tell you what anything means and tries to force you to upgrade to higher paid options for no reason. I hate it more than just about anything else and wish we could do away with such worthless, useless, horrible programs. Posted September 10, 2023.
- I clicked "upgrade" on accident, and I wasn't able to un-do that action. As a result, I was out over $200 on my return money. SCAM SCAM SCAM. Awful of you to do that to your customers-- preying on their fears of being audited . Posted August 6, 2023.
- The service on this other non-eFile.com site ******* is convenient, but you really have to read the fine print when selecting options. There are so many parts in the process where they try to nickel and dime & trick you into paying more money when you don't need to: "Donate" here, "Upgrade" this or "conveniently" get your money into an account that isn't actually your own bank account. Also, no way to go back and redo payment options. They really want to milk you dry at every point possible. Posted on Jan. 16, 2022.
- Keep adding fees, then wouldn't let me take anything off unless I started all over again. Posted on Jan. 16, 2022.
- I generally like ******. However, I accidentally clicked the upgrade version and was unable to revert to the free version no matter what I tried. It was completely useless because I could not itemize and had to use the standard deduction. Now, I have paid over $100 for no reason at all other than the fact that this company makes it completely impossible to return to the free version of their software. Posted on Oct. 16, 2021.
- I've been with ***** since 2008, but I'm not sure I'll be using this service in the future, unless these issues are addressed. I ended up needing the Deluxe package, which is $60 (not a big deal). After finishing your Federal Taxes, however, it asks if you'd like to transfer the information you've already input in your Federal Taxes over to your State Taxes. This should be included in the Deluxe Package, but it is actually an extra $50, which nearly doubles the cost. If you added this feature and decide you want to remove it, it's too late; you're required to "clear all forms and start over". This is true for any package changes as well. You are allowed to upgrade, but need to start over for a downgrade. TL; DR: I was strong-armed into upgrades without the possibility to downgrade. Posted May 17, 2021.
- I accidentally selected the upgrade to a more expensive version of *****. I did not mean to do this, because based on my return, it could have been free or a cheaper version. I was not able to downgrade once I had selected this more expensive version, so I had to give up over $100 of my return. Posted June 9, 2015.
- ***** promotes free files, but once you take the first steps in filing, its screen after screen after screen of upgrade by paying $XX, upgrade more by paying $XXX, free file was still an option right up till the end when they said my taxes couldn't be filed for free, no longer any free option or any way to back up to the point "I used a payment upgrade" that I never wanted, capitalism at its worst, a new higher paywall at every step. Posted October 12, 2021.
Important: eFile.com will only upgrade you if you are legally required to add certain schedules or forms. At the same time, only eFile.com will downgrade you to the Free Federal Edition if you don't need the schedules or forms associated with Deluxe or Premium. TurboTax® or H&R Block® will not downgrade you.
See the feedback other eFilers have provided or read how the eFile app works and begin preparing your tax return due in April or Tax Day.
File taxes for free: see if you qualify for free online tax filing.
Note: service names are subject to change without notice. *Prices vary for Basic, Premier, and Self-Employed. eFile.com Savings - the percentage ranges of online tax preparation fees you could save based on prices listed are subject to change.
2) Based on IRS e-File Tax Report.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.