Taxes can be complicated, preparing your return shouldn't be! We get IT: IT = Income Taxes and we are here to guide you through IT.
After you either created an eFile.com account or signed in to your account, follow these steps as shown below.
The easiest way to fill in your information thoroughly is by clicking to begin the Tax Interview. This will walk you through all the questions to be sure you answer everything in the sections below. However, if you wish to enter specific information, follow these steps.
On the left side in the green menu section, click on these links:
- My Return: Depending on the state of your return, you will find different instructions on the right side. When you start, you will be asked to answer basic tax questions. If somebody, such as your parents, claim you on their return, make sure you check that.
- Name & Address: Your SSN and, if filing as married filing jointly, the SSN of your spouse is required. Make sure you enter your Social Security Numbers correctly. Birth date(s), address, etc. are also entered in this section.
- Federal Taxes -> Income: enter your Income for the given tax year. Make sure you have ALL your W-2, 1099 forms in front of you. If you later discover that you forgot a form after you have prepared and e-Filed your return and it got accepted by the IRS and/or state, you will have to complete a Tax Amendment.
- Federal Taxes -> Dependents: If your children or qualifying relatives are qualifying dependents on your tax return, you will be asked to enter their information here. Enter their information carefully and accurately.
- Federal Taxes -> Deductions & Credits: Carefully go through this section so you don't forget to enter all your tax deductions as they will either reduce your taxes or increase your refund. Plus, the eFile tax app will calculate tax credits for you. In some cases, you will be asked to provide information regarding tax credits.
- Federal Taxes -> Health Care: Due to the 2018 Tax Reform, some health care related information has changed. More details here. Generally, you will only need to report your healthcare information if you received a 1095-A due to purchasing healthcare through the Marketplace.
- Federal Taxes -> Other Tax Situations: Used to report less common information, but some important 2021 items, such as the Child Tax Credit advance payments and stimulus check payments.
- Federal Taxes -> Review: You will find a summary result of what you have entered. Click on the link "I'd like to see the forms I've filled out or search for a form" if you need to find additional forms or view your forms. This is also where you will be shown any errors with your return as well as instructions to fix them. Click on the Tax Return Review button to see your tax return as a PDF file.
- States Taxes: Depending on where you reside or work, you might be required to also file one or more state tax return(s). Simply follow these screen instructions and enter the information needed. Generally, your state return is auto-generated based on your federal, but some additional entries may be needed.
Additional Information: See this link if you need to find out quickly where or how to enter a specific form.
Follow these steps as outlined above. If you are not sure where to enter something, click here and follow these instructions.