How Much Are Free Tax Returns?
Were you ever TurboCharged, TurboTaxed or TurboUpgraded?
On eFile.com, you can start with any service (Free, Deluxe or Premium), as you will automatically get the Free Federal Edition if you qualify based on your Tax Interview questions. For all paid services, eFile.com is up to 60% less than the Turbos or Blocks our there: Dare To Compare Now. Plus, on eFile.com you will have your own personal Taxpert support page, where you can post personal, specific tax questions or tax return questions.
On some Credit Card related sites, if you file your taxes there your tax information will be used to solicit credit cards, loans, etc. to you. On eFile.com, Your Tax Data is Only Used For Your Tax Return(s). Period! We do not solicit any other products nor do we share your data with anybody but the IRS.
For more complicated returns, the Deluxe or Premium version will be applied based on the answers you provide during the tax interview. However, only on eFile.com will you be automatically downgraded should your tax data change and you qualify for the Free Federal Edition. Other web sites do not do that, upgrade yes, downgrade no: at H&R Block® or TurboTax®, you will not be downgraded to a free return if you start with one of their paid services2).
Don't feel like reading? Just click the audio below and listen to Tess.
Here is a promo, coupon, and discount code just for you. Should you not qualify for the Free eFile.com Edition and have a more complicated tax return that requires either the Deluxe or Premium version, we would like to invite you with the special 25% off discount promotion below.
The 2020 eFile.com 25% Off Promo Code: get25Fast
Simply enter get25Fast during checkout in the Promo Code field at eFile.com
Dare to Compare!
- The Federal Edition is Free (including free e-filing) on eFile.com. Here's a detailed comparison of the eFile.com tax services.
- The difference between eFile.com and sites like TurboTax® or H&R Block® is that eFile.com will also DOWNGRADE you should you start with a paid version (e.g. Deluxe or Premium). TurboTax® or H&R Block® will NOT DOWNGRADE 2) you but only pressure you to upgrade if you started with their free version. Dare to Compare eFile.com with other services.
- Ask yourself this question: can sites like eFile.com, H&R Block®, or TurboTax® pay their employees with exclusively free tax returns? Of course not, employees don't work for free. Super Bowl Ads by H&R Block® or TurboTax® are not free either.
- Furthermore, you might find tax preparation sites - whose main business is promoting credit cards - will use your tax data to promote loans, credit cards, etc. to you based on your tax information. Do question the safety and security of your tax data in that case.
On eFile.com, Your Tax Data is Only Used For Your Tax Return(s). Period!
Starting in January 2020, employers are required to treat new employees who fail to furnish a properly completed 2020 Form W-4 as single and withhold using the standard deduction and no other adjustments. We do encourage you to review your tax withholding and then plan your next tax return. For example, the 2020 W-4 Paycheck Tax Withholding form has changed and it might impact your 2020 tax return due in 2021 significantly if you don't submit this new form to your employer(s). Start with the PAYuator now and then plan, estimate your next Tax Return so you don't face tax surprises. If you feel overwhelmed by either, please contact an eFile.com Taxpert so we can discuss your questions on your eFile.com personal support page.
What you enter on the W-4 Form will have a significant impact on whether you will keep more of your hard earned money now via an increased paycheck, or whether you will hand over your money to the IRS with too much tax withholding, only to get that money back as a tax refund (without any gains of interest, etc.) when filing your 2020 tax return in 2021. Use the eFile.com PAYucator to know your estimated federal tax withholding before you complete your W-4. Then, estimate your next tax return based on your tax return goals: Start here and taxercise your Paycheck and Tax Withholding
With eFile.com, you will have your own Personal Taxpert Support Page. There you can discuss important tax questions with a Taxpert, plus your entire support history will be stored on one central place.
How Does Free Work
Except for eFile.com, if you sign up with the free option at H&R Block®, TurboTax®, or Credit Card based tax preparation sites, you will soon find out that you are bombarded with "suggestions" to upgrade every step of the way, often accompanied by promises of better service or a bigger refund... if only you upgrade to one of the paid service options. Or, in the case of Credit Card companies who provide tax return services, they might soon flood you with Credit Card offers based on your tax return information.
You may be told:
- "Upgrade now and you will get more help."
- "Upgrade now and you will get your maximum refund."
- "There is a better version for your tax return, upgrade now!"
- "Upgrade now and find out how much your refund really could be!"
- "Get instant, faster help if you upgrade now."
- "Buy the Deduction Finder and we will maximize your deductions."
- The list of empty promises is endless...
eFile.com will only upgrade you if you are legally required to add certain schedules or forms. At the same time, only eFile.com will downgrade you to the Free Federal Edition if you don't need the schedules or forms associated with Deluxe or Premium. TurboTax® or H&R Block® will not downgrade you.
See the feedback other eFilers have provided for you to read.
1) As of October 2019 according to the IRS e-File Tax Report
2) As of January 14, 2020. Subject to change without notice. H&R Block® At Home is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc. TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.