Stimulus Check Payments
Get My Payment
Christina at Unsplash@wocintechchat.co
As a result of the Coronavirus Pandemic, the US government has launched three stimulus check payments during 2020 and 2021.
1. Stimulus Check Payment One: The Economic Impact Payment (EIP), CARES Act, or Stimulus Check Payment One was launched in April of 2020.
2. Stimulus Check Payment Two: The COVID-19 related Tax Relief Act of 2020 or Stimulus Check Payment Two was launched December 2020.
3. Stimulus Check Payment Three: The American Rescue Plan or Stimulus Check Payment Three was launched in March of 2021.
4. Stimulus Check Payment Four: Could there be a fourth stimulus payment as part of the Build Back Better Plan?
- The late 2021 or early 2022 Stimulus Package has been altered and changed many times, but has never included a fourth stimulus payment.
- The plan has been referred to as Build Back Better, American Families Plan, American Jobs Plan, the Democrats' Reconciliation Bill, or simply President Biden's Tax Plan.
- Keep up to date with all of the fourth stimulus package plan details. We are likely never going to see a fourth stimulus check, but we will update the linked page if it is ever passed into law.
Stimulus Payment Help
Here is a summary of taxpayer related stimulus questions and answers. The information is for all three stimulus check payments - you can only claim the third stimulus when you e-file your 2021 Return.
A: How to track my stimulus payment?
Get your Stimulus Payment Status
The IRS has updated the tool each time a new stimulus package was signed into law. The linked IRS tool will display the status of the current or most recent stimulus check. Since the IRS is no longer issuing payments, the tool may not show a payment status. Check to see if you were issued a payment via your IRS account.
Track Stimulus Payment by EIP Card
B: Additional stimulus payment lookup option
You may be able to see a processed payment of your stimulus checks via your IRS Account. Steps to create your IRS Account.
Your IRS account gives you a detailed overview of your tax return history, payments, etc.
Under Account Transcript, select 2020. You will see all deposits and transactions between you and the IRS, including stimulus payments and tax refunds or tax payments. At the bottom of the page will be a transaction history, including Economic Impact Payments, if applicable.
C: What if you never received Stimulus check 1, 2, or 3?
Consider requesting a payment trace if your IRS account transcript shows you were issued the payment, but you did not receive it. Call the IRS at 1-800-919-9835 and mail or fax Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund. On the form, write "EIP1" and/or "EIP2" at the top and, under item 7, section 1: check the "Individual" box, enter "2020" for the Tax Period, and leave "Date filed" blank.
File a 2020 Return to claim Stimulus 1 and/or Stimulus 2 - prepare these forms manually. Stimulus 3 was an advance payment of the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit as the first two were advance payments of the 2020 credit. This means that you will have to claim the third stimulus on your 2021 Tax Return in 2022. If you do not normally file, see this page for non-filers and stimulus payments or contact us for help with this.
D: Stimulus Check Questions and Answers
See real life scenarios and answers on Stimulus Check Payment questions. Learn how specific taxpayers can receive the stimulus payments if they are in fact owed them, but never received them. These payments are a tax credit and will be based on your tax information.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.