Live a Frugal Life: Money Saving Tips
Want to save money on common purchases and everyday expenses? These simple, practical money saving tips can help you maximize your budget and have more money left over at the end of each month to add to your savings, help pay off your debts, or even buy yourself something special.
To save even more money in 2022, prepare and e-File your 2021 Tax Return with eFile.com and get all the benefits from e-filing your return with eFile.com! We will help you save money by offering competitive pricing, claiming tax credits on your return, and getting your refund to you as quickly as possible through direct deposit.
eFile.com Money Saving Benefits
We have many Free Tax Tools that can help you save your hard-earned money. Need to figure out if you can claim a dependent to get the Child Tax Credit? Use our DEPENDucator or Relucator tax tools. Want to find out if you can claim the money-saving Earned Income Tax Credit (or EITC), then use our EICucator. Did you know that if you're single and have a qualifying dependent, the Head Of Household filing status saves you much more money than filing Single? Find out if you qualify for this with our HOHucator. We have these tax tools and so many others that can help you get the most out of your tax return and save you money!
Tired of waiting months and months every year for your tax refund from the IRS? Balance your tax withholding on your paycheck so that you get more money in your paycheck every week, or month throughout the year, rather than waiting for a large refund every year. We all like that large refund but when it doesn't come when you want (or need) it, that makes for a lot of frustration. Use our Free W-4 TAXometer tool to adjust your W-4 and take the extra money that will land in your paycheck and put it in a savings or money market account, that way it's there for you when you want it!
Other tax sites charge you extra if you have any questions about your return. If you have any questions when you're preparing your return on eFile.com, we offer you your own, secure, and Free, Personal Support Page (or PSP) where you can have direct, one-on-one communication (right on your PSP and not via email) with one of our Taxperts who can help you with any questions that you have. We don't charge anything extra for this! You can also set up a chat session via your PSP.
This tax year, TAXercise your paycheck, for your 2021 Return, eFileIT and get the most out of your IRS or State Return, due April 18, 2022.
Tips for Saving Money on Everyday Expenses
- If you’re friendly with your neighbors, ask them to babysit your kids and offer to babysit theirs in exchange. There are a lot of parents out there willing to do that to save money on babysitters. You can also ask your friends that live close by.
- Instead of calling a carpet cleaning service, rent a carpet cleaning machine and clean them on your own as it will save you a significant amount of money.
- Cut your own hair or get someone to cut your hair. If your hairstyle is not too complicated, it shouldn’t be difficult for a friend or family member to cut your hair successfully.
- Avoid rent-to-own services; they generally cost at least 50% more than the sales price of the product you’re buying.
- Instead of constantly buying new postage stamps to keep up with increasing fees, purchase "forever" stamps. That way, you won't have to worry about higher postage costs when mailing a 1-ounce first-class letter (regardless of future price increases). Some stamp dealers will sell you bulk quantities of old regular stamps at a discount from face value.
- Take advantage of warehouse or Big Box stores and buy items that you use alot (paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, some food items) there. You will save big!
Tips for Getting Your Finances on the Right Track
- Avoid debt. Most debt carries high interest rates, which are added on every month as long as you still have the debt. So not having debt will save you the interest payments.
- Optimizing your tax withholding on your W-4 form can leave more money in your paycheck each month. With eFile.com, you can use our free W-4 TAXometer to optimize your withholding.
- An online savings account often has a higher interest rate than one at a traditional bank. If you don’t mind the fact that there is no brick and mortar neighborhood location, consider putting some of your money into an online savings account whose interest rate can be several percent higher than one at a traditional bank.
- Pay off your credit card debt. Paying it off is like saving because you won’t have debt and you won’t lose money on interest payments.
- When investing, you can invest in index funds instead of actively managed funds. It can save you a lot of money on fees and many actively managed funds were found to not have much of a difference in gains from index funds.
- Avoid banking fees. Shop around for the bank that has the lowest fees, or no fees at all. Getting something for free is always better than paying for it.
- Make a budget as it will help you keep track of your expenses and help you eliminate unnecessary spending.
- Know how much taxes you will have to pay to the IRS this year, or if you will get a tax refund. Use our free Tax Calculator for an estimate!
Miscellaneous Money Saving Tips
- Make your own greeting cards. Or save money on the card and postage by sending an e-card.
- If you have a pet, don’t take it to a pet salon, do it yourself instead.
- Baked goods can be gifts, too.
- Buy refill kits for ink cartridges for your printer; it’s cheaper than buying a new cartridge.
- Adding improvements to your home like smoke detectors or burglar alarms can save you some money on your homeowners insurance.
- Instead of stopping monthly payments when you pay off your car loan, keep making the payments into your savings account. It’s an easy way to save, and you can then use that money to buy your next car upfront or make a significant down payment and thus save money on paying interest on the loan.
- Buy only what you really need.
- You can go to dental schools instead of an established office to get something simple, like a cleaning, and it will often cost you little or no money.
- Dryer sheets can be cut in half and still work fine, thus saving you money.
- Kill fleas and flea eggs embedded in pillows, throw rugs, and blankets by placing infested items in a plastic garbage bag and putting the bag in your car (with the windows rolled up) for a couple of hours when it's hot outside. The extreme heat will kill all the fleas. This way, you don't have to spend money on flea repellents (and harm the environment with chemicals).
- Instead of presents for each member of a family, purchase a gift card the whole family can use for movies, bowling, ball games, and other activities.
- Use old maps, calendars, or Sunday comics for colorful gift packaging.
Have a money saving tip that we didn't mention and that you would like to share? Contact eFile.com to tell us! We might post it on this page, but we won't post any personal information.
Additionally, save money with your 2021 Tax Return by filing with e-File.com. Mention this page and we'll give you a promo code so you can save money on your tax return preparation!
Tax and Money Savings Tips
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.