Amend a Kentucky State Tax Return

If you need to change or amend an accepted Kentucky State Income Tax Return for the current or previous Tax Year, you need to complete Form 740 (residents) or 740-NP (nonresidents and part-year residents) and check the box indicating it's an amended return (Tax Years 2017 and later) or Form 740-X (Tax Years 2016 and earlier).  Forms 740/740-NP and 740-X are Forms used for the Tax Amendment. You can prepare a current Kentucky Tax Amendment on, however you cannot submit it electronically. In comparison, the IRS requires a different Form - Form 1040X - to amend an IRS return (do not use Form 1040 for an IRS Amendment). 

The IRS might send you a notification to change an error on your Return, or you might have discovered an error. If you or the IRS amended or changed one of your IRS Tax Return(s), the IRS will report this to the Kentucky Tax Agency, thus you should file a Kentucky Amendment within one year.

Prepare only a KY State Return without an IRS return. Details
Step by Step instructions on how to only Prepare and Download - not eFile - State Returns on
File a current Kentucky Tax Amendment
You cannot eFile a KY Tax Amendment anywhere, except mail it in. However, you can prepare it here on
Option 1: Sign into your account, modify your Return and download/print the KY Form 740 (residents) or 740-NP (nonresidents or part-year residents) under My Account. Mark the "Amended" check box, sign the form, and mail it to one of the addresses listed below. Attach Federal Form 1040X to your state amended return if applicable.
Option 2: If you don't have an account follow the step by step instruction on how to prepare a tax return/amendment.
Option 3: If you want to do the math on your own paper return then complete, sign KY Form 740 or Form 740-NP - Print, Mail the Form to KY Tax Department to:
Refund Amendment Return:
Kentucky Department of Revenue
PO Box 856970
Louisville, KY 40285-6970
Tax Due Amendment Return:
Kentucky Department of Revenue
PO Box 856980
Louisville, KY 40285-6980
KY Tax Amendment Form 740 or 740-NP
This Form can be used to file a: Tax Return, Tax Amendment, Change of Address.
Step 1: Download, Complete Form 740 (residents) or 740-NP (nonresidents and part-year residents) for the appropriate Tax Year below.
Step 2: Sign, Mail Form 740 or 740-NP to one of the addresses listed above
Current tax year only: Prepare online on until the October deadline. When done Print, Sign and Mail in - not eFile - Your Tax Amendment, Address Change, etc.
After the October deadline, Prepare, Print, Sign and Mail-In - see address above - your Tax Year - Form 740 or Form 740-NP
How to correct a rejected Tax Return
If your KY Tax Return was rejected by the KY Tax Agency - not - instructions on how to correct a rejected Kentucky Tax Return.
Check Your KY Tax Amendment Status
1. Call the KY Department of Revenue at (502) 564-4581.
2. Contact the KY Department of Revenue
Kentucky Refund Deadlines
A. Three years from the due date of the original tax year return, including valid filing extensions.
B. One year from the final determination of the amended federal return or federal change, whichever is later, provided that the allowable refund is not more than the decrease in Kentucky tax attributable to the federal change or correction.
C. Two years from the payment of an assessment, provided the amended return raises issues relating only to the prior assessment and the refund does not exceed the amount of tax paid on the prior assessment.
D. Two years from the filing of an amended Kentucky return resulting in the payment of additional tax, provided that the current amended return raises issues relating solely to the prior amended return and that the refund does not exceed the amount of the tax payment made as a result of the prior amended return.
Additional Kentucky Tax Income Taxes Deadlines
Kentucky Income Tax Penalties
Find out how Kentucky Late Filing and Late Payment Penalties are calculated.
For IRS Tax and Late Filing Penalties we have an easy to use tool: The PENALTYucator.
File an IRS Tax Amendment by Tax Year
Instructions on how to prepare an IRS Tax Amendment on, however the IRS does not accept Tax Amendments electronically.

Will I get a bigger tax refund in 2024?

Many taxpayers can expect a bigger tax refund on their 2023 taxes. To help you keep up with soaring inflation, the IRS is making bigger changes than usual that could save you big money on your 2023 taxes, which is the tax return you'll file in 2024.

Take control of your personal life relationships, finances, and taxes: follow the tips on this page and keep up with tax planning for next year. You can use this free 2023 Tax Estimator to get a high-level understanding of your taxes.