Prepare, File One or Multiple State Tax Return(s) Only
All, not each,
41 States + DC
The IRS and states (not eFile.com) have ruled that a taxpayer can NOT e-File one or more state returns alone without also e-filing the federal return. This is because the tax data on a federal return is, to a great degree, identical to that of a state tax return. Thus, state tax agencies depend on IRS data verification during the e-Filing process to reduce tax fraud and identity theft. A state tax return can only be e-filed together with an IRS or federal income tax return, not just here on eFile.com, but anywhere.
However, you can PREPARE one or all 41 State Income Tax Returns plus the District of Columbia without also e-Filing an IRS return via the eFile.com Tax App even if you already have e-filed or filed a federal tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS. Consider preparing and e-Filing your federal and state tax returns on eFile.com next time - it will save you time, money, and effort.
The eFile.com tax preparation app lets you prepare and download your state tax return(s). When done, print all state income tax returns for one low price - not one price per state. Compare that to TurboTax® and H&R Block® who respectively charge $49 and $44.99 per state! eFile.com charges only $32.00 for ALL your state income tax returns: start now.
Contact us here to receive a state only code during checkout so you do not have to pay for federal preparation. You will only pay the state preparation fee.
If you prepared and e-filed your federal tax return on TurboTax®, H&R Block®, or any other tax preparation platform, you can still prepare, print, and mail all your state income tax return(s) on eFile.com for one low price. However, to save you time and money, we invite all TurboTax® and H&R Block® users to use eFile.com for BOTH their federal return and state return. Not only will you save time and money, you can e-file BOTH your federal and state returns and you also have the benefit of superior Taxpert® support. There are no digital assistants on eFile.com and you will talk to real people.
Since much of the tax information (income, personal information, deductions, etc.) on a state income tax return is similar to a federal income tax return, eFile.com will guide you through the screens that are the same for federal and state. Thus, you will complete what looks like a federal tax return, however you will not e-file the federal return at checkout, but print to mail and file your state return.
State Only Return, No Federal Return
Due to policy by tax authorities (not eFile.com nor any other online tax preparation platform), you can only e-file a state tax return with your federal tax return. If you have already e-filed or filed your federal return, you can still prepare your state return on eFile.com. Enter all your tax data, but on checkout, simply follow the steps and screen instructions below:
- If you do not have an eFile.com account, create a free account.
- If you do have an eFile.com account, sign in and begin preparing your state return; you will start by entering general information.
- You will need to prepare a federal return, but you will NOT have to eFile it during checkout and you will NOT have to pay for it. This seems confusing, but you will need to prepare a federal return on eFile.com even if you have already filed or e-filed a federal return elsewhere because the state return is largely based on the federal return.
- Do not click the No thanks, I don't want to e-file my federal return link. This seems contradictory because you are not filing the federal return, but you will need to keep the Yes, I want to e-file my federal return selection and click the green Continue button in order to move on to the next step as shown below.
- Before you reach the next step, you will go to a screen describing the additional audit protection service. Since we already offer free audit protection, click the "No thanks" button so you would not be charged for the service.
- On the Lowest Price Guarantee screen, you will still see a fee for preparing the federal return. Contact eFile.com support and one of our Taxperts® will give you a special discount code so you are not charged for the federal return. Important: You are not paying for e-filing as this is included for free when you e-file your federal and state taxes together. You are paying for the full preparation of your state return for you to print and mail.
- To enter the code, click on the blue Have a promo code? link, enter it in the box that appears, and click "Apply Code." You can only enter one promo code, so do not enter any other discount codes. Once you enter the promo code, select the Credit/Debit Card option to pay with your credit or debit card and click the green "Continue Payment" button to submit your payment information. With this code, you will only pay for the state preparation. Imortant: You cannot use the e-collect feature to pay for your return. The banks require an e-filed federal return for this; since you are not e-filing federal, you will need to pay the state fee via debit/credit card.
- Click "My Account" on the top of your eFile.com account screen and you will see a link to a PDF copy of the tax return you prepared on our site. Click that link to download and print your state return and make sure that you sign the return before you mail it - see mailing instructions. If there is no link to your PDF return (or if the PDF has a "Not Valid for Filing" watermark), you will need to pay for the preparation of your state return in order to generate the PDF and/or remove the watermark. However, if you still do not see the PDF link and/or see the watermark after paying for the preparation of your return, click "File" on the left menu and click the green "Continue" button until you get to the screen that has the “Yes, I'd like to create a preview of my return” link. Once you click that link, the PDF will be generated and/or updated without the "Not Valid for Filing" watermark. You'll see a link to the return on the “My Account” screen.
- If you need more help preparing, printing, and mailing only your state return, contact eFile.com support.
When to File Other State Returns?
You generally have to file a tax return for your resident state. However, you may need to file more than one state return if any of the following are true:
- You resided in more than one state, moved from one state to another state, and/or worked and earned income in another state.
- You had gambling winnings, rental income, or partnership or S-Corp income from a business based in another state.
- You had income from an estate or trust with interest in another state.
- Your employer improperly withheld taxes for the wrong state.
If you lived or earned income in more than one state, you might need to file returns for multiple states. Depending on your situation, you may need to file part-year resident returns or nonresident returns. eFile.com will determine the correct type of state tax return(s) for you to prepare. Find out more about resident, part-year resident, and nonresident state tax returns.
Only on eFile.com, you can file multiple state returns for one low price!
If you have questions about preparing and filing your state and/or federal returns, do not hesitate to contact eFile.com support.
Check the status of your completed and accepted state income tax return refund.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.