Tax Returns Pages

Tax Return and Tax Refund Status

The IRS Where's My Refund tool provides the tax refund status for the last 3 tax years.

Once you have e-filed your return on, your tax return status will change to Accepted by the IRS. If your return got Rejected by the IRS - not - it's most due to a technical issue e.g. previous AGI amount miss-match, duplicate return e-filed, etc. Most of the rejections can easily be corrected and then re-efiled for acceptance. If the IRS delays your tax refund, view this tax return road map for a better understanding of which steps a tax return might go through.

Note: you can track your refund via the link below. If your refund is delayed, there is generally no need to panic as millions of taxpayers are affected by these delays each year and it does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your return.

To find out where your refund is, refer to the table below to be sure your IRS and applicable state income tax returns were e-filed and accepted. Follow the steps to verify this before tracking your refund online.

Already filed and know you were accepted? Check your tax refund status now:

IRS Refund Status Tool | State Tax Refund Status Tools

Tax Return, Refund Steps

1. e-File Your Return(s)
Don't rush it and make sure you have gathered all your forms before you e-filed. Start free or sign to your account and eFileIT to the IRS and state(s) if applicable.
2. Your Tax Return Status
A: Check your tax return on (only if you prepared and e-filed at If you e-filed your tax return on a different site, sign in to your account on that site; cannot provide tax return status information for other websites or tax offices.
B: Sign in to your existing account and you will see the status of your prepared and e-filed tax return:
  • Not e-filed | In Progress
  • Pending
  • Accepted
  • Rejected.
C: If your return got rejected, most likely for a minor technical data miss-match, you can correct any errors and e-file again until your return is accepted at no additional charge. In case of an IRS rejection - not by - we will provide you detailed instructions on how to correct your return. The rejection reason is stated and you will be given details as well as a link to fix the issue. For specific assistance, contact support so we can guide you through the required corrections.
In summary: Once you e-filed your return(s) you will receive an email on the IRS acceptance status or sign in to your account to check if you e-filed your IRS and applicable state tax return. After sign in, select My Return and see the status on the right side page. Generally, you can get tax refund information 72 hours after the IRS has acknowledged the receipt of your e-filed tax return, or three-to-four weeks after mailing a paper tax return.
Make sure you have a copy of your tax return handy. You can find this under My Account on as you will need to provide the following information from your tax return:
  • Your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). Attention: You might see the following message after you have entered your SSN and the IRS might be checking or verifying your personal identity:
  • Your filing status (single, married filing joint, married filing separate, head of household, or qualifying widower)
  • The exact whole dollar amount of your refund.
Then, visit the Where's my refund? lookup tool.
The IRS where's my refund lookup tool:


The Where's My Refund lookup tool result page:


If you have further IRS questions about the status of your return, you can also call the IRS Tax Assistance Hotline: 1-800-829-1040 (Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time).

State Status
If you e-Filed one or more state tax returns, use the Where's my state refund? link.
e-Collect, EPS Refund Status
If you used the e-collect or EPS method of payment during the filing process, check your refund status here, only after you have checked the IRS and/or Status refund status above first: Check the e-Collect, EPS or Pathward Bank Refund Status
A tax refund is any tax you overpaid during a tax year combined with tax credits and can be returned via direct deposit, a prepaid debit card, or a mailed check. If you have certain past debts, the IRS may take or garnish your refund. See how to pay your due tax if you are not owed a refund.