The IRS live phone assistance is very limited and you might experience long wait times. The IRS is available from 7am - 7pm, Monday - Friday EST. and the best time to call them is in the early morning. Visit this page for more IRS phone numbers by subject.
When you call the IRS at their main number, 1-800-829-1040, you might be asked to provide any of the following pieces of information:
- Social Security numbers (SSN) and birth dates | Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for taxpayers without a Social Security number
- Tax return filing status: single, head of household, married filing jointly, married filing separately, widow(er)
- Questions about prior-year tax return, such as your adjusted gross income
- The tax year of the return you’re calling about
- Any IRS correspondence, notice, etc. sent to you.
If you call on behalf of another taxpayer: