Hawaii Taxes Pages

How to File an Amended Hawaii Return

amend Hawaii taxes
"The Aloha State"

If you need to correct or amend an accepted Hawaii State Income Tax Return for the current or previous Tax Year, you need to complete Form N-11 (residents), Form N-15 (nonresidents and part-year residents) and Schedule AMD Forms N-11 and N-15 are Forms used for the Tax Amendment. You can prepare a Hawaii Tax Amendment on eFile.com, but you cannot submit it electronically; you need to print the Amendment from your account, sign it, and mail it to your state tax agency. In comparison, the IRS requires a different Form - Form 1040X - to amend an IRS Tax Return (do not use Form 1040 for a Federal Amendment).

The IRS might send you a notification to change an error on your Return, or you might have discovered an error. If you or the IRS amended or changed one of your IRS Tax Return(s), the IRS will report this to the Hawaii Tax Agency, thus you should file a Hawaii Amendment within one year.

File a Hawaii Tax Amendment
You can prepare it here on eFile.com. However, you cannot eFile it.
Option 1: Sign into your eFile.com account, modify your Return and download/print the HI Form N-11 (residents) or N-15 (nonresidents and part-year residents) under My Account. Check the "Amended Return" box, sign the form, and mail it to one of the addresses listed below.
Option 2: If you don't have an eFile.com account follow the step by step instruction on how to prepare a tax return/amendment.
Option 3: If you want to do the math on your own paper return then complete, sign HI Form N-11 or Form N-15 and Schedule AMD - Print, Mail the Form to HI Tax Department to:
If payment is attached then mail to:
Hawaii Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 1530
Honolulu, HI 96806-1530
If no payment is attached, then mail to:
Hawaii Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 3559
Honolulu, HI 96811-3559
HI Tax Amendment Form N-11 or N-15
This Form can be used to file a: Tax Return, Tax Amendment, Change of Address. Check the "Amended Return" box on the Form.
Step 1: Download, Complete Form N-11 (residents) or N-15 (nonresidents and part-year residents) for the appropriate Tax Year below.
Step 2: Sign, Mail Form N-11 or N-15 to one of the addresses listed above
Current Tax Year only: Prepare online on eFile.com until October Deadline. When done Print, Sign and Mail in - not eFile - Your Tax Amendment, Address Change, etc.
After Oct. 15 Prepare, Print, Sign and Mail-In - see address above - your Form N-11 or Form N-15 and Schedule AMD
How to correct a rejected Tax Return
If your HI Tax Return was rejected by the HI Tax Agency - not eFile.com - instructions on how to correct a rejected Hawaii Tax Return.
Check Your HI Tax Amendment Status
1. Call the HI Department of Taxation at 808-587-4242.
2. Contact the HI Department of Taxation
Hawaii Refund Deadlines
A. Three years from the due date of the original tax year return, including valid filing extensions.
B. One year from the final determination of the amended federal return or federal change, whichever is later, provided that the allowable refund is not more than the decrease in Hawaii tax attributable to the federal change or correction.
C. Two years from the payment of an assessment, provided the amended return raises issues relating only to the prior assessment and the refund does not exceed the amount of tax paid on the prior assessment.
D. Two years from the filing of an amended Hawaii return resulting in the payment of additional tax, provided that the current amended return raises issues relating solely to the prior amended return and that the refund does not exceed the amount of the tax payment made as a result of the prior amended return.
Additional Hawaii Tax Income Taxes Deadlines
Hawaii Income Tax Penalties
Find out how Hawaii Late Filing and Late Payment Penalties are calculated.
For IRS Tax and Late Filing Penalties we have an easy to use tool: The PENALTYucator.
File an IRS Tax Amendment by Tax Year
Instructions on how to prepare an IRS Tax Amendment on eFile.com; be aware that the IRS does not accept Tax Amendments electronically.

Will I get a bigger tax refund in 2024?

Many taxpayers can expect a bigger tax refund on their 2023 taxes. To help you keep up with soaring inflation, the IRS is making bigger changes than usual that could save you big money on your 2023 taxes, which is the tax return you'll file in 2024.

Take control of your personal life relationships, finances, and taxes: follow the tips on this page and keep up with tax planning for next year. You can use this free 2023 Tax Refund Calculator to get a high-level understanding of your taxes.