Form N-11: Hawaii Individual Income Tax Return Resident

Form N-11 is the official tax return used by residents of Hawaii to report their income and calculate any taxes owed to the state of HI.

Who Should File Form N-11?

  • You were a resident of Hawaii for the entire tax year.
  • You were married filing jointly, and at least one spouse was a resident of Hawaii for the entire tax year (both spouses' worldwide income is then taxable in Hawaii).
  • You qualify to file Form N-11 but prefer it over the alternative Form N-13 (details on N-13 available on the HI Department of Taxation website).

What Information Do I Need to File?

  1. Basic Information: Social Security number, filing status, dependents.
  2. Income: Wages, salaries, tips, interest, dividends, capital gains, rental income, etc.
  3. Adjustments to Income: Educator expenses, student loan interest deduction, contributions to retirement accounts, etc. (see instructions for a complete list).
  4. Deductions: Standard deduction or itemized deductions (mortgage interest, charitable contributions, etc.).
  5. Tax Credits: Various tax credits may apply depending on your situation (see instructions for details).
  6. Payments: Estimated tax payments or any income tax withheld from your paycheck.

How to File Form N-11?

A. Download Form N-11 and the accompanying instructions attached below.

B. The form can be filed electronically or mailed with a check or money order for any tax owed.