Michigan Income Tax and State Tax
"The Great Lakes State"
Prepare and e-file your current tax year Michigan state tax return - resident, nonresident, or part-year resident returns - with your IRS return via eFile.com.
- State return only regulations*): Per IRS and Michigan state tax agency regulation - not eFile.com - you can NOT just prepare and e-file a state return (with the exception of California) without also e-filing the IRS return on the same platform. If you have filed your federal return already, you can prepare an Michigan state return on eFile.com and then download, print, and sign the return before you mail it in. See instructions on ONLY preparing a Michigan and/or other state tax return.
- File your MI and IRS taxes on eFile.com so you do not need to worry about mailing anything.
Michigan Tax Overview
Review the information below to better understand your taxes before you file them with your IRS return.
Michigan State Income Tax Rate: 4.05%
Prepare only a MI state return without an IRS return.
Where Is Your IRS Refund?
Michigan Income Tax Extension
Michigan Income Tax Amendment
Michigan IRS Late Filing, Tax Payment Penalties
1. Late Filing Penalty: The failure to file penalty is 5% of your total taxes owed for the first two months. Five percent of the unpaid tax is assessed each month after the initial two months. The maximum penalty amount is equal to 25% of your unpaid tax debt.
2. Late Payment Penalty: The failure to pay tax penalty is the same as the failure to file penalty.
3. IRS Penalties: Calculate and estimate your potential IRS income tax return penalties.
Michigan Income Tax Brackets
Michigan Income Tax Forms
Michigan Marriage Penalty
Start Federal and Michigan Tax Returns
e-File These Michigan State Tax Forms
Prepare and e-file these state forms for the current tax year in conjunction with your federal and state income tax return. As you proceed through the tax interview on eFile.com, the application will select the correct state forms for you. You can also select tax forms individually. All these forms will then be e-filed by you to the MI state tax agency. Instructions on how to only prepare a state income tax return.
MI-1040ES - Michigan Estimated Individual Income Tax Voucher
MI-1040X - Michigan Amended Income Tax Return
MI-1040X-12 - Michigan Amended Income Tax Return
MI-1310 - Michigan State Tax Claim Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer
MI-W4 - Michigan State Tax Employee's Withholding Exemption Certificate
Schedule AMD - Michigan Amended Return Explanation of Changes
3423 - Schedule 1 Additions and Subtractions
MI-1040 - Michigan Individual Income Tax Return
MI-1040-V - Michigan Individual Income Tax Payment Voucher
MI-1040CR - Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim
MI-1040CR-2 - Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim For Veterans And Blind People
MI-1040CR-7 - Home Heating Claim Credit
MI-1045 - Net Operating Loss Schedule
Schedule NR - Nonresident And Part-Year Resident Schedule
* Due to IRS and state tax agency data sharing and validation requirements, you can only e-file a state income tax return while also e-filing a federal income tax return. This is not an eFile.com created policy, but a federally regulated one which all online tax filing websites have to adhere to. You can, however, prepare all 44 state income tax returns on eFile.com if you have already e-filed or filed your IRS return. View instructions on how you can ONLY prepare and file state income tax return(s). Only on eFile.com can you prepare and file or e-file unlimited state tax returns for one low price and not pay for each state return like you would do on H&R Block® vs. TurboTax®. Dare to compare now.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.