Authorized IRS e-file Provider

IRS Address, Social Security Number Change

IRS Address Change via Form 8822, Social Security Number Update or Correction and Name Change Instructions are provided here. Prepare and eFile your 2019 Tax Return Now.

IRS Mailing Address Change - Form 8822

If you have moved and your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive your IRS tax refund check in the mail or other correspondence. We encourage you to use free direct bank refund deposit.

If your address changes after you file your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. This ensures that your mail will be forwarded (not all post offices automatically forward government checks). To change your address with the IRS, complete Form 8822, Address Change Request. You can complete this from here on but it cannot be eFiled. When done, sign download and mail the form to the IRS address listed on the PDF file. 

If you want to inform the IRS of your change of address, they will need your full name, old and new addresses, and your Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number, and a signature. If you filed a joint return, you must provide the information and signatures for both spouses. If you filed a joint return and you and your spouse have established separate residences, you should both notify the IRS of your new address.

Report a Name Change to the IRS

Your name change will get reported with the Social Security Administration, who then shares this information with the IRS.

If you got married and you have not changed the name on your Social Security card to your married name for example. Or, on your Form W-2 has your maiden name but your tax forms should have your married name. The question is, should you file with your maiden name or married name?

You have a choice. You can file with your maiden name and then contact the Social Security Administration. Or, if you have enough time before the due date of your return, you can contact the Social Security Administration and have your records changed. In this case, wait at least 10 days to file your tax return.

If you were married or divorced during the tax year, and changed your name, make sure that the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If they do not match, your tax refund could be delayed.

Did you get married and your named changed? The name on your refund check will be spelled the way it appears on your tax return. If the address label you receive is spelled wrong, do not use the label. Instead, legibly print the correct information yourself. You can also call 1-800-829-1040 and the IRS can correct the spelling of your name over the phone, or visit the Social Security Administration website.

Learn more about how marriage affects your taxes

Social Security Number Change

In case you changed your name due to a marriage or divorce, please make sure the name on your federal and state tax return will match the name and SSN registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If the names and SSN's do not match, your tax refund could be delayed.

New Social Security Number for a Newborn Child

Also make sure you register any new family member (new born child etc.) with the Social Security Administration, so you might be able to claim your child as a dependent on your federal or state tax return.

To apply for a new Social Security card, or to change the information on an existing card, download and file SSA Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card.

New Social Security Number for a Newly Adopted Child

If you have adopted or began the process of adopting a child, your child may not yet have been assigned a Social Security Number. If this is the case, you will be assigned an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) to use in place of your child's SSN on your tax return. The ATIN may be used to claim exemptions for dependents and certain credits, but it may not be used to claim a qualifying child for the purposes of the Earned Income Tax Credit (learn more about the EITC).

Visit the Social Security Administration website for more details.



eFile Now To Reduce Your Potential Penalties.     Details