ITIN Tax Return Preparation Without SSN
Sample Social Security No. SSN Card
Sample Individual Taxpayer Identification No. ITIN Card
1. If you do not have a SSN or ITIN, in order to file a tax return without a Social Security Number (SSN) and apply for a ITIN via Form W-7, here are the instructions on how to prepare a Tax Return for this on eFile.com.
2. What is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or ITIN? It is a 9-digit tax processing number issued by the IRS - see the image on the right. ITINs are to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security number or SSN from the Social Security Administration or SSA.
- If your ITIN is only used on information tax returns by third parties, you don’t have to renew your ITIN even if the ITIN has expired for purposes of filing a U.S. federal tax return. However, in the future, if you file another income tax return, you will need to renew your ITIN at that time for Form W-7.
3. How to apply, obtain a ITIN? Complete Form W-7 and apply for an ITIN. You can also use Form W-7 to renew an existing ITIN that will expire or has already expired. Don’t complete Form W-7 if you have already a SSN or if you’re eligible to obtain a SSN. Eligible for a SSN? If you’re a U.S. citizen or if you’ve been admitted for permanent residence or U.S. employment.
4. If you have an application for an SSN pending, don’t file Form W-7. Complete Form W-7 only if the Social Security Administration or SSA notified you that you are not eligible for a SSN.
5. An ITIN will not be issued or renewed for a taxpayer filing as Head of Household who is not also claimed as a dependent on an attached tax return.
How to Prepare a Tax Return Without a SSN
B: Obtain a Temporary SSN or
Contact eFile.com support
to obtain a temporary or placeholder SSN. This SSN is only to be used during the tax preparation process on eFile.com.
C: Tax Return Prepartion
Follow the tax interview and complete all sections.
D: Tax Return Review
Review your completed return as PDF file in your My Account - see below.
E: Checkout Process
Click on File or File Now buttons or follow this this detailed checkout process
F: Download, Print,
Remove SSN, Sign
Step 1: Follow D above and download your return.
Print your return and remove the temporary SSN with whiteout or cross-out with a pen.
Sign your return.
G: Remove SSNs
1. Important: Do NOT attempt to e-File a tax return with a temporary or placeholder SSN.
2. Important: This eFile.com issued temporary SSN SHOULD NEVER BE SUBMITTED TO THE IRS. This temporary SSN is ONLY for the purpose of preparing the tax return in your eFile.com account. It is imperative your REMOVE (white-out) all temporary SSNs from the paper tax return submitted to the IRS in conjunction with the Form W-7 application.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.