What to Do With 1099-G

The most common use of the 1099-G is to report unemployment compensation, as well as any state or local income tax refunds you received that year. Unemployment compensation is considered taxable income. The IRS requires taxpayer to report all unemployment income they receive. You should have received a Form 1099-G reporting how much in unemployment benefits you were paid in the tax year.

Here are instructions to add this to your eFile account to generate the needed forms and add it to your taxable income.

1. Sign in to eFile.com
Sign in to eFile.com or sign up here, then enter all your personal identifying information.
2. Where Do I Enter Data?
eFile will guide you through entering all types of income. You will be prompted to enter Form 1099-G under the Other Income section. Answer "Yes" when asked if you received a 1099-G for unemployment or a taxable state tax refund as applicable.
3. How to Manually Add Data
To manually add your form, navigate to Federal Taxes > Review > I'd like to see the forms I've filled out or search for a form and enter "1099-G." You can then fill out the details based on the form you received.
4. Box Descriptions
There are many boxes on the form, but below are the most common that will be filled in.
1: Unemployment compensation
2: State or local income tax refunds, credits, of offsets
4: Federal income tax withheld
5: RTAA payments
6: Taxable grants
10-11: State details.
5. How to Add, Delete a Form or Page