What to Do With 1099-CAP

Form 1099-CAP, Changes in Corporate Control and Capital Structure, is a lesser-known IRS form. You may have received one if you are a shareholder in a corporation which had a change in control or a large-scale change in their capital structures and you received cash, stock, or another property as a result. This form and income is treated as taxable income in the form of an investment or capital gain. You can add this to your eFile account to generate the needed forms and add it to your taxable income.

1. Sign in to eFile.com
Sign in to eFile.com or sign up here, then enter all your personal identifying information.
2. Where Do I Enter Data?
eFile will guide you through entering all types of income. You will be prompted to enter your capital gain or investment income under the Investment section. Answer "Yes" when asked if you sold any stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other investments. Select that you did not receive a 1099-B and continue. This will allow eFile to report the investment income on Form 8949 and Schedule D as needed.
3. How to Manually Add Data
To manually add your form, navigate to Federal Taxes > Review > I'd like to see the forms I've filled out or search for a form and enter "1099-B" or "8949." Select that you did not receive a 1099-B and continue. You can then fill out the details based on the form you received.
4. Box Descriptions
There are a few boxes on the form, but below are the most common that will be filled in.
1: Date of sale or exchange
2: Aggregate amount received
3: Number of shares exchanged.
5. How to Add, Delete a Form or Page