Washington Income Taxes

efile Washington tax return
"The Evergreen State"

Since Washington does not collect an income tax on individuals, you are not required to file a WA State Income Tax Return. However, you may need to prepare and e-file a Federal Income Tax Return.  

Start Federal Income Tax Return


Washington Tax Facts, Information

Washington Tax Information and Contacts

Tax Type
Washington Income Tax Code
Washington has no personal income tax code.
Washington has a starting 7.0% state sales tax rate, which also applies to some services. Though purchases of certain foods and food ingredients are exempt from the sales tax, soft drinks, prepared foods, and dietary supplements, and food products sold with eating utensils are taxable. Washington state considers plates, napkins, and forks eating utensils, but not packaging or containers used to transport food items.
Washington Tax Fact
Washington state has a "syrup tax." The $1-per-gallon tax is imposed on the retail or wholesale of syrup used to make carbonated beverages. It's collected by wholesalers when the syrup is sold. If retailers didn't pay the tax on their wholesale purchase, they directly pay the tax to the Washington Department of Revenue. Successive sales of previously-taxed syrup are exempt from the tax. Funds collected from the "syrup tax" are used by the WA violence reduction/drug enforcement account.
Washington State Tax Agency Contacts
For mailing addresses and other contact information, contact the WA Department of Revenue.


Washington Unemployment Benefits

Unemployment benefits are not subject to income taxes since Washington does not collect individual income tax.

See other U.S. States, Territories, and Protectorates.