New Hampshire, NH State Income Taxes

efile New Hampshire tax return
New Hampshire
"The Granite State"

New Hampshire does not tax individuals' earned income, so you are not required to file an individual New Hampshire tax return. The state only taxes interest and dividends at 5% on residents and fiduciaries whose gross interest and dividends income, from all sources, exceeds $2,400 annually ($4,800 for joint filers). If you have investment income from interest and dividends, described in detail in the "NH Income Tax" section, you may have to file a New Hampshire tax return for that income.

The Tax App will prepare the proper interest and dividend tax forms for you. You will not be able to eFile these forms to New Hampshire. However, you can print, sign, and mail these forms, along with your payment, from your completed tax return PDF file. 

Start Federal Income Tax Return

New Hampshire Tax Facts, Information

Review the table below to find important tax resources for the state of New Hampshire, such as contacts and unemployment.

NH Tax Type
New Hampshire Income Tax Code
New Hampshire has no personal income tax code.
Current Sales Tax
New Hampshire doesn't have a state sales tax.
New Hampshire Tax Fact
New Hampshire has a timber tax. This is imposed on all of a landowner's timber at 10% of the stumpage value at the time it's cut down. The following types of timber are exempt from the tax:
  • Ornamental and shade trees
  • Christmas trees
  • Nursery stock
  • Sugar orchards
  • Firewood used for maple syrup manufacturing
  • Firewood used for domestic heating (must be 20 cords) and/or saw logs for personal use by a landowner within the state (must be 10,000 board feet).
New Hampshire Marriage Penalty
New Hampshire State Tax Agency Contacts
For mailing addresses and other information, contact the NH Department of Revenue.
New Hampshire Unemployment Benefits
There is no state tax on unemployment income in New Hampshire.

See tax information for other states, U.S. territories, and protectorates.