IRS Tax Return Rejection Code IND-516-02

Problem: The IRS—not—has rejected your return because the primary Social Security Number (SSN) can not be the same the dependent SSN on another IRS return filed for this tax year.

Solution: Let us help you turn this into an IRS acceptance. Sign into your account and click "Name and Address" on the left side menu. On the right side, answer this question: Can you be claimed as a dependent by someone else?

Answer Yes here if somebody else, e.g. a parent, has claimed you as a dependent on their return. Save and Continue and follow the screen instruction to re-efile your federal and state returns for free. You can do this as often as it takes to get accepted.

However, if you answered with Yes, but you keep getting rejected for any reason, or if you should not be listed as a dependent, PRINT your return(s)—IRS and State(s)—and MAIL it in on time. See printing and mailing instructions plus addresses based on your resident state. The person who wrongly claimed you may need to amend their return.

After that, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and/or the State and discuss your tax return in more detail. If the IRS does not accept your return because a return under your SSN has been accepted by the IRS, ask yourself if you have already filed elsewhere.

If you have data security concerns, please visit:

If you have already filed a return and are trying to change or correct it, please visit

Contact us with further questions or assistance at