IRS Tax Return Rejection Code IND-516-01

Problem: The IRS—not—rejected your Federal Income Tax Return because another taxpayer has claimed you on their tax return and that return is accepted. This happens many times if a child/student files a return but is claimed as a dependent on his or her parent's return. Or, if Form 1040—Primary Claim As Dependent—is not checked, then the Primary SSN can not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return.

Solution: Let's fix this so your IRS return will be accepted. Please sign into your account, click Name and Address on the left side menu in your account, and select the "Yes" option reporting that someone can claim you as a dependent. Click the green "Save" button at the bottom to save your changes.

If you cannot be claimed as a dependent, this does not necessarily mean they had the right to claim you as a dependent. Please PRINT your return from your account, sign it, and MAIL it to the IRS. See printing and mailing instructions plus addresses based on your resident state. You may need to print, sign, and mail your State Tax Return to the State Tax Agency. After that, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and discuss your tax return in more detail.

Contact us with questions: