IRS Tax Return Rejection Code IND-511

Problem: The IRS—not—has rejected your return because your Social Security Number (SSN) is listed on an accepted Married Filing Separately tax return as the spouse.

Solution: Log into your account, click on Name and Address on the left side of your account screen, and correct your SSN. Then, click File on the left and re-efile your federal and state returns for free.

If the SSN is correct, you will need to PRINT your returns from your account, sign them, and MAIL them to the IRS. See printing and mailing instructions plus addresses based on your resident state. You may also need to call the IRS support line at 1-800-829-1040 to inform them of this issue and ask them how to proceed.

Contact us with questions: