IRS Tax Return Rejection Code FW2-502

Problem: The IRS—not—rejected your Federal Tax Return because the Employer Identification Number (EIN) you entered from a W-2 does not match the number that the IRS has for this employer. Either you entered the number incorrectly from the W-2 OR the employer provided an incorrect EIN to you.

Solution: Let us help you turn this into an IRS acceptance. Please sign into your account:, click Federal Taxes/Review on the left side menu in your account, click the "I'd like to see all federal forms" link, and click the name of your W-2 screen(s). On your W-2 screen(s), double check the EIN number, make any corrections, and save your changes. Then, click File on the left side menu and follow all the on-screen prompts to re-efile your federal and state returns at no extra charge. If you have already done this and are still getting the same rejection message from the IRS, contact your employer and ask them to verify the EIN. If you still cannot correct and re-efile your return for any reason, please PRINT your return from your account, sign it, and MAIL it to the IRS. See printing and mailing instructions plus addresses based on your resident state. You may need to print, sign, and mail your State Tax Return to the State Tax Agency. After that, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and discuss your tax return in more detail.

Contact us with questions: