Form K40: Kansas Individual Income Tax Return

The Kansas Individual Income Tax Return (Form K40) is the official document used by residents of Kansas to file their state income taxes with the Kansas Department of Revenue (KDOR).

Who Needs to File Form K40?

A. Kansas Residents: If you were a resident of Kansas for the entire tax year, you generally need to file a K40, even if you didn't have any Kansas income.

B. Part-Year Residents: If you lived in Kansas for part of the year, you may need to file a K40 to report income earned in Kansas.

C. Non-Residents: In some cases, non-residents who earned income in Kansas may need to file a K40.

What Information Do I Need to File Form K40?

  • Federal Tax Return: You'll need your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) from your federal tax return.
  • Personal Information: Your name, address, Social Security number, and filing status.
  • Income: Information about all your taxable income earned in Kansas, including wages, interest, dividends, and rental income.
  • Deductions and Credits: Details on any deductions and credits you qualify for to reduce your Kansas tax liability.
  • Dependents: Information about any dependents you claim on your federal tax return.

Filing Information About Form K40:

Where to File: You can file your K40 electronically through the Kansas WebFile system or mail a paper copy to the KDOR.

Deadlines: The deadline to file your Kansas income tax return typically coincides with the federal tax filing deadline in April. However, it's always best to check the KDOR website for the latest information on filing deadlines and extensions