Form IN-116: Vermont Income Tax Payment Voucher

Form IN-116, also known as the Vermont Income Tax Payment Voucher, is a document used to submit payments for your Vermont state income tax. It's essentially a slip that accompanies your check or money order when you make a payment to the Vermont Department of Taxes (VT Dept. of Taxes).

Who Needs Form IN-116?

You'll need Form IN-116 if you owe Vermont state income tax and are making a payment that's separate from your tax return filing. This could be for various reasons, such as:

Final payment: You may have a remaining balance due after filing your VT tax return.

Estimated tax payments: If you have income that isn't subject to withholding (like self-employment income), you may need to make quarterly estimated tax payments throughout the year using Form IN-116.

Extension payments: If you file for an extension to file your Vermont tax return, you may still be required to make estimated tax payments using Form IN-116.

What Information Do I Need to Complete Form IN-116?

The form itself is quite straightforward. Here's what you'll need to provide:

Tax Year: Enter the year for which you're making the payment (e.g., 2023 for taxes owed on income earned in 2023).

Taxpayer Information: Print your name, Social Security number (SSN), and daytime phone number clearly.

Payment Information: Enter the amount of your payment.

Detachment Option (Optional): If you're filing electronically and keeping a copy of the voucher for your records, check the box next to "If electronically filed, DO NOT include a copy of the filed return with this payment."

How Do I Submit Form IN-116?

Step 1: Complete the form: Print the form attached below and fill it out legibly using black or blue ink.

Step 2: Attach your payment: Make your check or money order payable to "Vermont Department of Taxes." Ensure it's for the full amount you entered on the form.

Step 3: Mail it: Send the completed form and your payment to: Vermont Department of Taxes PO Box 1779 Montpelier, VT 05601-1779

What happens if I don't use Form IN-116 with my payment?

While not mandatory, using Form IN-116 helps ensure your payment is accurately applied. It's recommended to use the form to avoid any potential delays or processing issues.

What if I make a mistake on Form IN-116?

Minor errors, such as typos in your name, shouldn't significantly impact processing. However, if you notice a significant error, contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2505 for guidance.