Form IN-111 (2023): Vermont Individual Income State Tax

Form IN-111 is the official Vermont (VT) state income tax return document used by individuals to report their taxable income for a specific tax year and calculate any taxes owed or refundable to the state.

Who Needs to File Form IN-111?

A. Residents: Anyone who considered Vermont their primary residence (domicile) for at least 183 days during the tax year must file, regardless of income amount.

B. Part-Year Residents: If you moved in or out of Vermont during the year, you may be considered a part-year resident and need to file Form IN-111 with additional schedules.

C. Income Threshold: Even if you weren't a resident for 183 days, you might still need to file if you earned more than $100 in income from Vermont sources.

What Information Do I Need to File?

  • Federal Tax Return: You'll need your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) from your federal tax return (usually Form 1040) to complete Form IN-111.
  • Income Sources: Gather all your income documents like W-2s, 1099s, and self-employment income records.
  • Deductions and Credits: Research and document any deductions or credits you qualify for according to Vermont tax guidelines.
  • Dependents: If you have dependents, you'll need their Social Security numbers for claiming exemptions.
  • Payment Information: Include your preferred payment method (check, money order, or electronic payment details) if you owe taxes.

Where to Get and File Form IN-111?

You can download the latest version of Form IN-111 and instructions attached below.

E-filing: Vermont requires e-filing your return along with your federal return. Several tax preparation software programs offer e-filing for both federal and state taxes.

Paper Filing: While e-filing is preferred, you can mail a paper form to the Vermont Department of Taxes address provided in the instructions.

Important Dates for Form IN-111:

  • Due Date: The filing deadline for Form IN-111 typically coincides with the federal income tax deadline, usually April 15th of the following year.
  • Extensions: You can request a six-month extension to file by submitting Form IN-151 before the due date.

To access the current year's Form IN-111, click here.