Form 505 X (2023): Maryland Nonresident Amended Tax Return

Form 505X is used by nonresidents and part-year residents of Maryland to amend their previously filed Maryland income tax return (Form 505) for tax year 2023. An amendment allows you to correct errors or omissions on your original return, like changes in income, deductions, or credits.

Who Needs to Use It?

You need to file Form 505X if you:

a. Filed a Form 505 for tax year 2023 and need to make changes to your income, deductions, or credits.

b. Did not file a Form 505 but were required to do so because your federal gross income exceeded the federal filing threshold and you had income sourced from Maryland.

What Information Do You Need?

To complete Form 505X, you will need:

  • Your original Form 505 (if any)
  • Your Federal tax return (Form 1040, 1040-SR, or equivalent) and supporting schedules
  • Documentation for any changes you are making (e.g., pay stubs, W-2s, investment statements)

How to File Form 505X?

  • You cannot electronically file Form 505X. Mail the completed form and any required attachments to the Maryland Comptroller of the Treasury.
  • The filing deadline for amended returns is the same as the original filing deadline, generally April 15th of the following year. However, if you filed for an extension on your federal return, you may also receive an extension for your Maryland return.

Note: If you are a resident of Maryland who needs to amend your tax return, use Form 502X instead.

To access the current year's Form 505 X, click here.