Form 4506-T: Request For Transcript Of Tax Return

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers various resources to taxpayers seeking information about their past tax filings. One such tool is Form 4506-T, titled "Request for Transcript of Tax Return." This document allows you to request a transcript, which is a summary of your tax return data, rather than a full copy of your return with all its attachments.

What is a Tax Transcript?

A tax transcript is a condensed version of your tax return information. It displays key details like:

  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
  • Taxable income
  • Taxes paid
  • Filing status

What are the Different Types of Transcript?

A. Wage and Income Transcript (Form 4506-T): This transcript summarizes income reported to the IRS by third parties, such as employers and financial institutions.

B. Tax Return Transcript (Form 4506-T): This transcript provides a more comprehensive overview of your tax return, including income, deductions, credits, and tax liability.

C. Tax Account Transcript (Form 4506-T): This transcript shows your tax payment history, including any adjustments made by the IRS.

D. Record of Account Transcript (Form 4506-T): This transcript offers the most detailed information, combining elements of the Wage and Income, Tax Return, and Tax Account transcripts.

E. Verification of Non-Filing Transcript (Form 4506-T): This transcript confirms that no tax return was filed for a specific tax year.

What's the difference between a tax transcript and a copy of my tax return?

A tax transcript is a condensed summary, while a copy of your tax return includes all the details and attachments you originally filed. Transcripts are free and faster to obtain, while copies incur a fee and take longer to process.

How can I request a tax transcript?

You can request a transcript electronically through the IRS website, by calling the IRS at 1-800-908-9946, or by mailing a completed Form 4506-T to the IRS address listed on the form.

How long will it take to receive my transcript?

Electronically requested transcripts are typically available immediately. Mailed transcripts usually arrive within 10 business days.

What information do I need to complete Form 4506-T?

You will need your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), date of birth, mailing address from your latest tax return, tax filing status for the requested year(s), and the tax year(s) for which you are requesting transcripts.

Can I request transcripts for multiple tax years on one Form 4506-T?

Yes, you can request transcripts for up to four tax years on a single Form 4506-T. If you need transcripts for more than four years, you'll need to submit additional forms.