Form 2: Montana Individual Income Tax Return

Form 2 is the official Montana Individual Income Tax Return used by residents to report their income and calculate any taxes owed to the state of Montana (MT) for the 2024 tax year.

Who Needs to File Montana Individual Income Tax Return?

A. Residents: Anyone who was a resident of Montana for the entire tax year (January 1st - December 31st, 2024) must file a Form 2.

B. Part-Year Residents: If you lived in Montana for part of the year, you may still need to file a Form 2 depending on your income sources.

C. Non-Residents: In some cases, non-residents who earned income in Montana may need to file a Form 2.

What to Include In Form 2 Montana Individual Income Tax Return?

  • Filing Status: Select your filing status (Single, Married Filing Jointly, etc.)
  • Income: Report all taxable income earned during the year, including wages, interest, dividends, and rental income.
  • Deductions: You can choose to claim the standard deduction or itemize deductions for expenses like mortgage interest and charitable donations.
  • Payments: Report any income tax payments made throughout the year.
  • Credits: There are various tax credits available in Montana, such as the Elderly Care Credit and the Alternative Fuel Credit. Be sure to review eligibility requirements.

What's New for 2024?

A. Repeal of Personal Exemptions: Starting in 2024, Montana no longer offers a state-specific personal exemption. This means you'll only use your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) to calculate your Montana taxable income.

B. No More Montana Standard Deduction or Itemized Deductions: With the repeal of personal exemptions, Montana now conforms to federal deductions. You'll either use the standard deduction offered by the IRS or itemize your deductions on your federal return, which will also apply to your Montana return.

How to File Form 2 Montana Individual Income Tax Return?

  • You can file your Montana Individual Income Tax Return electronically through the Montana Department of Revenue's website (
  • Paper forms are also available and can be mailed to the department.