Form 511: Oklahoma State Tax Resident Individual Income Tax Return

Form 511 is the official document used by Oklahoma residents to file their individual income tax return with the Oklahoma Tax Commission. It allows you to report all taxable income earned within the state during the previous calendar year and calculate any taxes owed.

Who Needs to File Form 511?

A. Oklahoma Residents: If you were an Oklahoma resident for any part of the tax year, you are generally required to file Form 511, regardless of where you earned your income.

B. Part-Year Residents: If you resided in Oklahoma for a portion of the year and another state for the remaining part, you may need to file Form 511 to report income earned in Oklahoma.

C. Military Spouses: Oklahoma resident spouses filing a joint federal return with a nonresident military spouse may be able to file jointly on Form 511.

What Information Do I Need to File Form 511?

  • Federal Tax Return: A copy of your federal tax return (Form 1040) and any relevant schedules might be helpful when completing Form 511.
  • Income Documentation: Gather all documentation related to your income, such as W-2s, 1099s, and any other income statements.
  • Deduction and Credit Documentation: Organize records for deductions and credits you plan to claim, such as receipts, mortgage statements, and charitable contribution documentation.
  • Social Security Numbers: You will need your Social Security number (SSN) and the SSN of your spouse if filing jointly.

How Do I File Form 511?

  • Electronically: Oklahoma encourages electronic filing through their website, FileIT. This method is considered the fastest and most secure way to submit your return.
  • Paper Form: You can download a paper copy of Form 511 from the Oklahoma Tax Commission website and mail it with your payment voucher. Note that paper filing may take longer for processing.

Important Dates and Deadlines:

  • Due Date: The filing deadline for Form 511 typically coincides with the federal income tax return deadline, which is usually April 15th. However, extensions may be available in some cases.
  • Payment: If you owe taxes, make sure to include your payment with your return. Electronic payments are preferred, but you can also submit a check or money order.

To access the current year's Form 511, click here.