Site Menu

Does Your Relative (or Girlfriend or Boyfriend) Qualify as a Dependent?

Who is my relative?

You can claim someone as a dependent on your tax return if, according to IRS rules, they are a Qualifying Relative or a Qualifying Child.

How Do I Know If Someone Is My Qualifying Relative? 

Simply use our "RELucator" tax tool! Once you answer a few simple questions about your tax situation, you will find out if you can claim someone as a qualfying relative. It's that easy!

Check out the RELucator tax tool below! Use our other free tax tools to discover your filing status, find out if you can claim tax credits, and more! 

If you are the taxpayer, is this person:

The "RELucator" tax tool will help you determine if someone is your Qualifying Relative and therefore your dependent.

Just answer the "Yes" and "No" questions until you reach a conclusion.

See all of the requirements for claiming a Qualifying Relative as your dependent.

Can I Claim a Tax Credit for Having a Non-Child Dependent?  

You can claim a $500 nonrefundable tax credit if you have a non-child dependent who is a U.S. citizen. It can be applied to children over 17 years old, senior parents, or children with disabilities. To qualify for the credit, the dependent's Social Security Number (SSN) must be issued and provided to the IRS by Tax Day

What if Someone Is Not My Qualifying Relative?

You can still claim them as a dependent if they are your Qualifying Child. Find out if someone is your Qualifying Child.

If they are not your Qualifying Child nor your Qualifying Relative, then you cannot claim them as a dependent.

How (and Why) Do I Claim Dependents?

Dependents are good news when it comes to your tax return. That's because dependents equal tax exemptions and may qualify you for other tax deductions and credits.

Find out how to claim dependents on your tax return.