Tax Day by Tax Year - 2015 Tax Due Dates and Filing Deadlines for 2014 Tax Returns

Efile Your Tax Return by October 15

Important: Though the April 15 deadline has past, you can still prepare and efile your 2014 tax return by October 15, 2015 (and pay as much taxes owed as you can). If you're expecting a tax refund, you will not face any late tax return filing penalties from the IRS

Tax Day 2015: Tax Deadlines for Tax Year 2014

You can prepare and efile your 2014 Tax Return on now. Get started now to ensure you get the fastest tax refund possible, and use efile and direct deposit to get the fastest tax refund the IRS allows.

Estimate your tax refund date and check your tax refund status.

The 2015 Tax Deadlines (for Tax Year 2014) are on the table below.

Tax Day DateType of Income Tax ReturnFiling Deadline / Due Date Description
April 15, 2015 2014 Federal Tax Return

Tax Day for Tax Year 2014 - Filing deadline and due date for Federal Income Tax Returns.
Start Federal Tax Return

State Deadlines 2014 State Tax Return Due dates for State Income Tax Returns.
Start State Tax Return
April 15, 2015 2014 Federal Tax Extension Due date for Tax Extensions for 2014 Federal Income Tax Returns.
Missed the Extension Deadline?
State Deadlines 2014 State Tax Extension Due dates for State Income Tax Extensions.
Start State Tax Extension
October 15, 2015 2014 Federal Tax Return Last day to efile a 2014 Income Tax Return for Tax Extension filers.
April 15, 2018 2014 Tax Amendment You can file an Amended Return to pay taxes due anytime, but you generally have a deadline of 3 years from the original due date to claim a tax refund.
Start Amended Return
No Deadline Previous Year Tax Returns You can file a Tax Return for a previous tax year anytime, but you can only claim a refund within 3 years of the original tax deadline.
Start Previous Year Return
State Deadlines All State Tax Deadlines View tax state tax return and tax extension deadlines for all states
Health Care Enrollment Deadlines All Health Care Enrollment Deadlines View health insurance marketplace enrollment deadlines for 2014 and 2015

Federal Tax Return

Preparing a federal tax return on is fast and easy. And if you have a simple return, it can even be free! If your return is more complicated, you still get our Lowest Price Guarantee and 5 Pricing Advantages.

Electronic filing is the safest way to file a tax return, and the fastest way to get your tax refund. And is the best way to get your biggest tax refund possible. Create a free account and get started on your tax return by clicking the button below, or compare online tax services first.

Seventy-two (72) hours after your tax return is accepted by the IRS, you can track your tax refund.

Start Federal Tax Return

State Tax Return

On, you can prepare state tax returns when you prepare your federal tax return. You can then efile your state return(s) together with your federal return or separately.

Unlike other online tax services, allows you to prepare as many state returns as you need to for one low price.

If you already filed federal and you only need to efile state returns, you can do that on, too. Get started by clicking the button below, or find out how to efile only state returns.

After your state return is accepted by your state, you can track your state tax refund.

Start Federal and State Tax Returns

Start State Tax Return ONLY

When is My State Tax Return Due?

This generally depends on the state. See all state tax return due dates.

Federal Tax Extension

Important: The IRS is no longer accepting federal extensions for 2014 tax returns.

What to do if you missed the extension deadline

State Tax Extension

State tax extensions generally function the same way as federal tax extensions, but they are sometimes requested differently. Some states accept an efile extension form, some states require no form at all if you don't owe taxes, and other states honor a federal tax extension. You should check the website of your state's tax agency for specific extension rules and deadlines, or read more about state tax extensions.

Late Federal Tax Return

After April 15, 2015, you can still prepare and efile a 2014 tax return on If you owe taxes and you file or efile late without getting a tax extension, the IRS will generally charge penalties based on the amount you owe. There are also penalties for paying your taxes late, even if you got an extension. However, the late filing penalties are more severe, so you should try to file on time even if you owe taxes and can't pay.

If you owe taxes and are already late, you should file a tax return immediately and explore your options to pay tax.

If you expect a tax refund and you file late, there is no real penalty other than the effective delay of your refund.

Start Late Federal Tax Return

Amended Tax Return (Tax Amendment)

Tax Tip: Submit your 2014 Tax Return by April 15, 2015 to avoid penalties and interest!

Why Should I File an Amended Tax Return?

If you need to correct an error that you made, or if you need to add information to a tax return that has already been accepted by the IRS, you can prepare and file an amended tax return (a tax amendment).

When Should I File a Tax Amendment?

If an amended return results in you owing tax, there is no deadline for the amendment.

How Should I File an Amended Tax Return?

You can prepare an amended tax return for the current tax year on The IRS does not accept amendments electronically, so you can print your completed amendment from your account and then mail it to the IRS. Learn more about preparing and filing a tax amendment.

Remember, if you amend a federal tax return, this might also affect your state tax return for that year. Please see the website of your state tax agency for information about how they handle tax amendments.

More about how to file tax amendments.

Start Federal Tax Amendment

Previous Year Tax Return

Why Should I File a Previous Year Tax Return?

If you owe taxes or if you wish to claim a tax refund for a previous tax year, you can prepare and file a tax return for that year.

When Should I File a Previous Year Tax Return?

There is no IRS deadline for overdue previous year tax returns, but in order to claim a tax refund for a certain year, you must file a tax return for that year within 3 years of the original due date. If you wait longer than 3 years, any tax refund is forfeit.

On the other hand, past due taxes do not disappear. If you owe taxes for a previous tax year, the IRS may charge you late filing and late payment penalties plus interest on taxes owed.

How Should I File a Previous Year Tax Return?

Electronic filing is no longer available for Tax Years 2013 and earlier. Here are two options to prepare and file previous year tax returns:

1. Prepare and file on your own: Download and complete the tax forms for the appropriate Tax Year:

Tax Year 2013 · Tax Year 2012 · Tax Year 2011 · Tax Year 2010 · Tax Year 2009 ·

Tax Year 2008 · Tax Year 2007 · Tax Year 2006 · Tax Year 2005 · Tax Year 2004

2. Prepare and file with us: Work with a tax professional online. Instead of visiting a local tax office, you can have your tax return completed by a real TaxPro.

Start Working With A TaxPro

efile Your Taxes Now

bullet point Biggest Tax Refund Faster
bullet point Money Back Guarantee
bullet point Dare to Compare

Start Your Return FREE

Registered Users: Sign in Here