Florida does not levy an income tax on individuals. Therefore, you do not need to file a FL state tax return.
Start Federal Income Tax Return
Florida Tax Facts
FL Income Tax:
Florida has no personal income tax.
FL Sales Tax:
The state of Florida has a 6% sales tax. Counties impose additional local sales taxes, ranging from 0.25%-2.5%.
More information on Florida Sales Tax
FL Sales Tax Holiday:
Florida has two sales tax holidays. The first sales tax holiday usually occurs for nine days between the end of May and the beginning of June. The second sales tax holiday usually occurs on the first weekend of August (midnight Friday through midnight Sunday). Certain items are exempt from Florida sales tax. However, the FL consumer will only receive the tax exemption if a specific total spending limit is met.
Refer to the chart below for Florida sales tax holidays for 2016. We will update this chart once the dates are available.
|Sales Tax Holiday Dates||Sales Tax Holiday Items Included|
|May/June 8, 2016
- Reusable ice packs: $10 or less
- Portable self-powered light sources, battery-powered flashlights, battery-powered lanterns, gas-powered lanterns (including propane, kerosene, lamp oil, or similar fuel), tiki-type torches, candles: $20 or less
- Gas or diesel fuel container (including LP gas and kerosene containers): $25 or less
- All batteries including rechargeable, except boat and automobile (AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, 9-volt only), coolers (food-storage, nonelectrical), ice chests (food-storage, nonelectrical), self-contained first-aid kits (already tax-exempt): $30 or less
- Tie-down kits, bungee cords, tarpaulins (tarps), ground anchor systems, two-way radios (self-powered or battery-powered), weather band radios (self-powered or battery-powered), ratchet straps, visqueen, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, other flexible waterproof sheeting: $50 or less
- Portable generators used to provide light, communications, or to preserve food in event of power outage: $750 or less
- School supplies: $15 or less
- Clothing: $100 or less
- Personal computers: first $750
FL Personal Property Tax:
In Florida, all tangible property is subject to local personal property taxes after factoring in a $25,000 exemption for tangible property and a $50,000 homestead exemption for real estate (for primary residences only).
Odd Tax Fact:
United States and Florida flags are exempt from sales tax in Florida.
State Tax Agency:
For more information, you can visit the website of the Florida Department of Revenue.
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
U.S. territories and protectorates:
American Samoa | Guam | Northern Mariana Islands | Puerto Rico | U.S. Virgin Islands