Form IN-151: Vermont Application for Extension of Time to File

Form IN-151, also known as the Vermont Extension or VT Extension, is an official document used by taxpayers in Vermont to request an additional six months to file their Form IN-111, the Vermont Individual Income Tax Return.

What is the Purpose of Form IN-151??

The primary purpose of Form IN-151 is to grant taxpayers a six-month extension to file their Vermont income tax return. This extension allows for additional time to gather necessary documents, complete the return accurately, or address any unforeseen circumstances that might prevent timely filing.

Important Points to Remember about Form IN-151:

Filing Deadline: The deadline to submit Form IN-151 coincides with the regular due date for filing your Vermont income tax return. This typically falls on April 15th of each year.

Extension vs. Payment: While an extension grants you more time to file your return, it is crucial to understand that it does not extend the deadline for any tax payments due. If you owe taxes to the state of Vermont, you are still obligated to pay the amount due by the original filing deadline, even if you file an extension.

Federal vs. VT Extension: If you have already filed a federal extension for your income taxes, you typically do not need to submit a separate VT Extension (Form IN-151) to Vermont. However, there are exceptions. For instance, if you owe taxes to Vermont or need to submit an extension payment with your VT return, then Form IN-151 is still required.

Who Should Use Form IN-151?

Here are some common scenarios where filing Form IN-151 might be necessary:

Incomplete Records: You may need additional time to gather all the necessary tax documents and receipts.

Complex Tax Situation: Your tax situation might involve multiple income sources, investments, or deductions that require more time to process accurately.

Unexpected Circumstances: Unexpected life events like illness, natural disasters, or relocation can hinder your ability to meet the filing deadline.

How to File Form IN-151?

There are two convenient ways to submit Form IN-151:

Electronically: You can electronically file your VT Extension through the Vermont Department of Taxes' online portal, myVTax. This is the quickest and most efficient method.

By Mail: Download and print a copy of Form IN-151 attached below. Complete the form accurately and mail it, along with any tax payment due, to the Vermont Department of Taxes by the original April deadline.

Here's the mailing address: Vermont Department of Taxes PO Box 1779 Montpelier, VT 05601-1779

Do I need to file a VT Extension if I already filed a Federal Extension?

No, if you have already filed a federal extension for your income taxes, you typically do not need to submit a separate Vermont Extension. However, there are exceptions. For instance, if you owe Vermont-specific taxes beyond your federal tax liability, you may still need to file Form IN-151 and submit any outstanding payment by the April deadline.

What happens if I miss the deadline to file Form IN-151?

Unfortunately, missing the April deadline to file Form IN-151 could result in late-filing penalties. The Vermont Department of Taxes typically charges a $50 late-filing penalty even if you owe no tax or receive a refund.

What if I don't need the full six-month extension?

An approved VT Extension grants you up to six months of additional time to file. You are not obligated to wait the entire period. Once your return is complete, you can submit it before the October 15th deadline.

Can I get an extension for other Vermont tax forms?

Form IN-151 is specifically for requesting an extension on filing Form IN-111, the Vermont Individual Income Tax Return. Extensions are not available for other Vermont tax forms, such as the Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Credit or the Renter Credit Claim.