The SSN (social security number) for you or your spouse is the same as a dependent claimed on another return.
To Correct, click on the Name and Address screen and verify you have correctly enter the social security numbers for you and/or your spouse.
IF the numbers are correct:
1. If someone else can claim you or your spouse as a dependent, check the box next to "Can anyone claim you as a dependent?"
2. If no one can claim either of you, someone may have filed using your information. You will have to file your return by mail. We recommend that you also fill out and include the Identity Theft Affidavit.
IF the number(s) are incorrect:
1. Make the necessary correction, and click save at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
2. Click on FILE to resubmit your return.
1. Do not worry or panic- Sign in to your efile.com account.
2. Click the "Name and Address" link on the left side of your account screen.
3. Check your Social Security Numbers on the "Personal Information" screen.
4. If they're entered correctly on your efile.com tax return and you or your spouse a dependent, make sure you check the box that states that you can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return. Click "Save" at the bottom of the screen, click File on the left side, and follow the on-screen prompts to re-efile your return.
5. If you or your spouse is not a dependent and your information was entered correctly, no need to efile again. You will need to paper file your return because the state tax agency will reject your return as it is now until the return claiming you is amended.
6. Please PRINT and MAIL your tax return before the tax return deadline. Under "My Account" you will find a PDF copy of your tax return. Here are the mailing addresses by state (see under "Where to Track Your State Tax Refund" - the state agency link is in the pop up).
7. After you have MAILED your tax return to the state tax agency please call your state tax agency to inform them about the issue.
8. Contact an efile.com Taxpert to assist you with any questions your might have.