When you filed your return you answered that you did not file a return with the IRS last year. But IRS records show that you filed. You'll need your adjusted gross income (AGI) from last year's return to continue. As you re-file your return please answer Yes when asked if you filed a return with the IRS last year. Then we'll ask you for your AGI. Click here to re-file your return.
How do I find my AGI?
For your 2015 AGI, use the amount from:
• Form 1040EZ, line 4
• Form 1040, line 37
• Form 1040A, line 21
What if I don't have my 2015 return?
If you don't have access to your prior year return, you can get a transcript with your AGI directly from the IRS. It's free and you can quickly get your transcript online by visiting the IRS transcript website.
1. Don't worry or panic- Sign in to your efile.com account.
2. Click "File" on the left side of your account screen and follow the on-screen prompts until you reach the screen that asks you "Did you file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) last year?" Simply answer "Yes" and click "Continue."
3. Follow these instructions on how to locate and enter your prior-year AGI: http://www.efile.com/tax-help/adjusted-gross-income/#instructions. Once you enter your prior-year AGI, click "Continue." If you do not know your AGI from last year and you do not have a copy of your last years return, you can use the IRS Get Transcript Online to immediately view your AGI from your prior year return. You can find information on how to do this here: http://www.efile.com/tax-return/tax-return-copy/
4. You will go to a screen asking if the IRS provided you with an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). Only answer "Yes" if you received one. Otherwise, answer "No" and you will not be asked to enter a 6-digit IP PIN.
5. You will be asked for an electronic signature PIN on the "Finish Signing Your Return" page, but this is a number you can make up on the spot and is not the same as the prior-year AGI you entered to identify yourself. This last PIN can be any five digits except "00000" or "12345" or all the same digits like "55555".
6. If you entered your AGI correctly, there may be an error in IRS records. Please PRINT and MAIL your tax return before the tax return deadline. Click "My Account" you will find a PDF copy of your tax return; here are the IRS mailing addresses. If your state tax return got rejected, please PRINT and MAIL it as well. Here are the mailing addresses by state (see under "Where to Track Your State Tax Refund" - the state agency link is in the pop up).
7. After you have MAILED your tax return to the IRS please call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to inform of the issue. 8. Contact an efile.com Taxpert to assist you with any questions your might have.