Your Prior Year 2017 Adjusted Gross Income or AGI

Your Prior-Year AGI is the Adjusted Gross Income (or AGI) on last year's tax return (2017). The IRS uses your AGI to establish your identity so you can efile your 2018 tax return. You only need a prior-year AGI if you are efiling your tax return to the IRS.

Here is how to find your prior year AGI:

1) Depending on which income tax form you used on your 2017 tax return look for your AGI:

  • IRS Form 1040EZ it is Line 4
  • IRS Form 1040 it is Line 37
  • IRS Form 1040A it is Line 21
  • IRS Form 1040NR it is Line 36

2) If you e-filed your 2017 tax return on

Sign into your account and view/download your PDF tax return file from the My Account page. The same line numbers as above apply.

3) If you did NOT e-file your 2017 tax return on

Click here Get A Transcript Online now. This is a free service provide by the IRS. Your prior year AGI will be on the transcript. 

Where To Enter Your 2017 AGI on

Once you have your 2017 AGI sign into your tax return and follow the instructions below: 

  • Click File located on the left menu.
  • Next you will see your refund/balance due amount. Click Continue.
  • Your return will be completed. When it is finished, click Continue. (Click View Return if you want to view/print your forms).
  • Next is the Efile Selection screen. Make sure you select the return(s) you want to efile and click Continue.
  • Then select if you want to have your refund mailed or deposited and click Continue.
  • Then you will be asked if you (or your spouse, if your filing status is Married Filing Jointly) filed a tax return last year. Select Yes and click Continue. If you did not efile or file a tax return last year, answer No. If you selected No, we will automatically enter 0 as the number to verify your identity with the IRS (0 is your AGI for 2017 since you did not have any income that year or you did not file a return).
  • If you select Yes for filing a tax return last year, the next screen is To E-file, You Must Identify Yourself to the IRS. Enter your AGI in the box next to the Enter last year's AGI line. If you are filing a joint tax return, enter the same AGI for you and your spouse (if you or your spouse did not file or efile a tax return last year, enter 0 in the appropriate AGI field). Once you have entered your AGI(s), click Continue. (note: the image below is for informational purposes and is not interactive; it will be updated for Tax Year 2018 when available)

How to enter prior-year AGI

  • Next you are asked if you (and/or your spouse) received an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS. Click Yes if you received one and enter the IP PIN on the next screen, otherwise, click No.
  • You are then asked to create a 5-digit PIN to electronically sign your return. This can be any five numbers you choose except 00000 or 12345 or all the same digits such as 55555.
  • Click Continue and on the next screen, check the I'm not a robot box and click the E-file to send your return.
  • You will receive an email confirming that your return has been accepted by the IRS. You should hear back from the IRS in 24 - 48 hours concerning the status of your return. If you do not receive an email, make sure you do not have a spam filter blocking it.

Important: You can efile your tax return as many times as you need to at no extra charge. Simply correct your AGI and efile or re-submit your tax return again.

You Do Not Have Your Prior-Year AGI - You will need to print your return, sign it, and mail it to the IRS so it can be filed. There is not need for IRS acceptance when you mail in your return since the AGI is not needed to establish your identity.

You Did Not File or Efile a Tax Return Last Year - During the efile process on, you will be asked, "Did you file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) last year?" If you did not file a 2017 Tax Return with the IRS, answer No. Once this happens, we will automatically enter "0" as the number to verify your identity with the IRS ("0" is your AGI for 2016 since you did not have any income that year).

IP PIN -After you enter your prior-year AGI, you will be asked  if the IRS provided an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). This 6-digit PIN is assigned to a victim of attempted identity theft, and is sent to the taxpayer in a letter via certified mail. If you received an IP PIN from the IRS, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN on the next screen. Otherwise, answer No.

Personal Identification PIN - At the very last step of the efile process you will need to create your own Personal Identification PIN to electronically sign your tax return. It can be any five numbers except 00000 or 12345, or all the same digits like 55555.

To get more help entering your Prior Year AGI contact an Taxpert to receive personal assistance on correcting and re-filing your tax return so the IRS accepts it.