Students, Save on Your Taxes with Free Tax Tools and Tips
Before you prepare and efile your tax return, read our student tax guide for information on tax credits and deductions that you may qualify to claim on your return. Then, check out our free tax tools and tips on making taxes easier to do (and save too!).
Free and Easy efile.com Tax Tools
Want to save on your taxes? Check out these free tax tools to determine your filing status, eligibility for certain tax credits, and more:
- CAREucator: answer a few simple questions to find out if you can claim the Child and Dependent Care tax credit
- DEPENDucator: discover whether or not a child can be claimed as a dependent on your tax return
- EICucator: find out if you qualify for the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit
- FILucator: answer a few simple questions to find out if you need to (or want to) file a tax return
- HOHucator: determine if you have a qualifying person in order to claim the Head of Household tax return filing status
- KIDucator: use this tax tool to find out if you qualify for the Child Tax Credit
- RELucator: discover if a relative (or boyfriend/girlfriend) can be a qualifying relative and your dependent on your tax return
- STATucator: use this tax tool to discover the right tax return filing status for you
- Tax Withholding Assessment Tool: determine whether or not you need to update the allowances on your Form W-4
- TaxStimator: calculate your taxes to determine whether you'll receive a refund or owe taxes when you file your tax return
Do I Need to File a Tax Return as a Student?
If you're not sure if you need to file a tax return or not, review the IRS tax return filing requirements. You can also use our free FILucator tax tool to find out if you need to (or want to) file a tax return.
What If I'm Claimed on My Parents' or Someone Else's Tax Return?
You may need to file a separate tax return as a dependent.
How Do I File a Tax Return When I Am a Student?
There are numerous 1040 Forms for reporting your income, and it's important to choose the right one. The form that you need to file is determined by your filing status, United States residency status, the types of income you received, and the types of deductions or tax credits you want to claim. Find out which Form 1040 you need to file.
How Do I File If I'm an International Student?
Find out if you should file Form 1040NR or 1040.
Additional Student Tax Tips and Information
Tuition, education expenses, credits, and deductions
How to file a tax return as a student
Student Tax Myths and Tips
Money Saving Tips for College Students