How To Prepare Your Simple Stimulus Tax Return
If you only receive Social Security or Disability Income or have little to no income, you normally do not have to file a tax return.
However, if you do have little or no ordinary income in 2019 and for any other reason you want to file a free, simple tax return on eFile.com in order to receive your COVID-19 Stimulus Payment, follow the instructions below. Find out how the COVID-19 crisis might impact your 2019 Taxes. For further questions or concerns, contact eFile.com Tax Support.
- IF YOU RECEIVED ONE OR MORE W-2 FORM(S) AND/OR 1099 FORM(S) FOR TAX YEAR 2019 YOU SHOULD NOT FILE A SIMPLE RETURN, BUT A REGULAR RETURN. YOU CAN DO THIS HERE ON EFILE.COM.
- Do not overlook the link in Step 2 below to claim your qualifying dependents on a simple stimulus payment return.
- You can only select Married Filing Jointly or Single as filing status on a simple return. Taxpayers who had no income in 2019 e.g., a stay at home parent etc. and whose spouse filed as Married Filing Separately on the 2019 tax return are facing IRS tax rejection problems with simple returns if they select Married Filing Jointly as they can not select the filing status of Married Filing Separately. We are looking into this dilemma and hope to have an answer for this posted here as soon as possible.
- After you have either efiled a simple return or a regular return check the status of your stimulus payment here: Where is my Stimulus Payment?.
- A feature to update your bank deposit information will also be made available soon.
- Click Federal Taxes on the left side of your account screen. You will see a gray box asking if you only need to file a return to claim a Covid-19 stimulus payment. Click the "Yes, I don't need a full return" button.
- If you have dependents, make sure you click the "enter them before filing" link to add them before you create the Simple Return. Next click the green "Create stimulus return" button and the return will automatically be generated for you.
- Next is a screen where you can see your return is ready to be filed. Click the "File Now" button and follow all the on-screen prompts to e-file your Simple Return. You can review your return before e-filing it by clicking the "Free Return Preview" button. During the efiling process, you will be able to add your bank information so the IRS directly deposits your stimulus payment into your bank account.
However, if you want to switch back to a full return, click Name and Address on the left and click the "Remove stimulus return" button.
Start A Free IRS Simple Tax Return Now
Already have an eFile.com account? Sign In
If you have any questions or concerns as you go through the process, please contact an eFile.com Taxpert.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.