Authorized IRS e-file Provider

2019 State Income Tax Return(s)


First important procedural point: You can only eFile one or more 2019 state tax return(s) - and not state returns only - in conjunction with a 2019 IRS or Federal Income tax return on This is not an policy but a policy established by the IRS and all the state tax agencies. The reason for this policy is data verification and accuracy, since most of the tax data is shared by the Federal and the respective State Tax Agency.

Start Your 2019 Tax Return Now

Second important work around point: Yes, you can prepare one or more 2019 state tax returns ONLY on, but you can not eFile them and only download, print, sign and mail the paper forms to the respective state tax agencies. Click the link below for details.

Details on how to ONLY prepare state tax retun(s) on For example, if you have already filed your federal return elsewhere and it has been accepted by the IRS, you can choose to prepare and file only your state return on We strongly encourage you to also prepare and e-File your federal return on next year, that will make e-filing one or more state returns easier and cheaper for you.

Prepare and Mail-In My State Return(s) Only

Third, very important money saving point: Compared to H&R Block® or TurboTax® where you pay about $35 per state you prepare and efile, on you can prepare and efile as many states as you wish for one low price of $28.95. There is no limit to the amount of state tax returns you can prepare and file on You can file resident, nonresident, and part-year resident returns for any state.

Requirements to File State Return(s)

You may need to file a tax return for your resident state if your resident state collects income taxes. In general, you are required to file a part-year resident tax return for each state you lived in if: 

  • you moved from one state to another state (file a part-year resident tax return for both states) OR
  • you lived in multiple states (file a part-year resident return for each state)

You generally need to file a nonresident tax return for each state in which you worked but did not reside. For example, if you lived in one state and worked in another, you will usually need to file a resident return for the state in which you lived and a nonresident return for the state in which you worked.

Here are other situations where you may need to file a nonresident state return: 

  • You earned income in a state that is not your resident state.
  • Your employer incorrectly withheld taxes for a state that is not your resident state.
  • You had gambling winnings in a state that is not your resident state.
  • You owned rental property in a state that is not your resident state.
  • You are a partner in a partnership, or a shareholder in an S-Corporation, that is based in a state that is not your resident state.
  • You received income from an estate or trust that has interest in a state that is not your resident state.

You do not generally have to file a return for the state where your employer is located unless you also work there. What matters is where you earned the income, not where your employer is based.

How to file One or More State Returns

Why waste your time trying to find and download tax forms from multiple places? has them all in one location for every state, commonwealth, and territory, as well as the District of Columbia. Simply click your state on the map below to find state tax forms supported by


Remember that when you prepare eFile on, we will select and generate all the state forms you need based on the answers you give during your online interview.

H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc. TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.



eFile Now To Reduce Your Potential Penalties.     Details