If you need more help preparing, printing, and mailing only your state return, please contact efile.com support
Why Do I Have to Prepare a Federal Return?
In order to prepare state returns, you must also prepare a federal return because almost all of the information for a state return is taken from the federal return.
However, you will NOT have to file your federal return, and you will NOT have to pay for it
We know it may be a hassle to enter federal return information all over again if you have already done so somewhere else, and for that we deeply regret the inconvenience. Because of this, we recommend preparing and efiling your federal return at the same time as your state return(s) on efile.com.
Remember that only efile.com offers unlimited state returns for one low price of $19.95
Do I Need to File Returns for Other States?
You generally have to file a tax return for your resident state. However, you may need to file more than one state return if any of the following are true:
- You resided in more than one state.
- You moved from one state to another state.
- You worked and earned income in another state.
- You had gambling winnings in another state.
- You had rental income from another state.
- You had partnership or S-Corp income from a business based in another state.
- You had income from an estate or trust with interest in a another state.
- Your employer improperly withheld taxes for the wrong state.
If you lived or earned income in more than one state, you might need to file returns for multiple states. Depending on your situation, you may need to file part-year resident returns or nonresident returns. Efile.com will determine the correct type of state tax return(s) for you to prepare. Find out more about resident, part-year resident, and nonresident state tax returns.
Only on efile.com, it's the same low price for one or for multiple state returns!
What If I Need More Help Preparing and efiling My State or Federal Returns?
If you have questions about preparing and filing your state and/or federal returns, please do not hesitate to contact efile.com support.