IRS Identity Verification Via Letter 5071C or Other Letter
How to verify my identity with the IRS after receiving an IRS letter?
After filing your tax return, you may have received one of these IRS letters: 5071C, 5757C, 5447C, 6331C, 6330C, or 4883C.
Security standards have gone up industry-wide and the IRS performs ever-increasing random and routine identity checks on all electronically filed returns, no matter which site was used. It is part of their ongoing effort to combat and reduce identity theft and tax fraud. The IRS is trying to protect your data and be certain that you are, in fact, the person who e-filed the return, so identity verification does not just apply to tax returns with refunds. Here is more information to assist you about the IRS Identity Verification letter that you might have received.
These IRS letters are handled entirely through the IRS - you will need your documents and other information to show your identity.
If you received the IRS 5071c or other IRS letter, then usually the IRS instructs you to go to their identity verification website and verify your identity at: https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients
Here, you will need the following on hand:
- A personal account number from:
- Credit card,
- Mortgage, and/or
- Loan (student, car, home equity, etc.).
- A mobile phone number
- The IRS letter you received
- The income tax return (Form 1040, 1040-SR, etc.) for the tax year shown on the letter
- Note: A Form W-2 or 1099 is not an income tax return!
- Your mailing address used on your previous year's tax return.
On the page, click the blue Verify Your Identity Now to enter the portal - you will have to set up an IRS Account.
If you cannot verify your identity online, you can contact the IRS at 1-800-830-5084 from 7:00am - 7:00pm. You have a better chance of reaching the IRS if you call early in the morning. If the IRS did not provide you with a specific phone number, you can call IRS taxpayer assistance at 1-800-829-1040. Follow these instructions to reach a live representative:
- Press 1 for English.
- Press 2 for "Personal Income Tax"
- Press 1 for "Form, Tax History, or Payment"
- Press 3 for "For All Other Questions"
- Press 2 for "For All Other Questions"
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN, do not enter anything. After the system asks for the information twice, you will be prompted to a different menu. Then, press 2 for "Personal or Individual Tax Questions"
- Press 4 for "For All Other Inquiries" and you will be transferred to an IRS agent.
Note: if you received IRS letter 4883C or 6330C, you will not be able to verify your identity via the online tool and will have to call. You should be able to reach the IRS via the number on the form - use the link above for more information directly from the IRS page.
This process is done entirely through the IRS, either online or over the phone.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.