Instructions to File a Tax Return with No or Little Income
How to prepare and e-file a tax return with little or no taxable Income?
Please follow the instructions below to eFile a tax return if you had little or no earned income during the year. Only then do you follow these instructions below.
Non-filer types of income include:
- Social Security Income
- Nontaxable disability income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Foreign income excluded 2555 or Foreign Income Tax Exclusion.
You may need to file a tax return or want to, even if you do not have any taxable income. To do so, you can use the instructions below to force the return to generate as not adding any taxable income will not allow you to file.
Follow these steps:
1. Create your free account on eFile.com.
2. Sign into your account.
3. Start the tax interview process by entering your personal details on the "Name & Address" screen. Click on Federal Taxes in the left menu.
4. Click on Review under Federal Taxes.
5. Click the link I’d like to see the forms I’ve filled out or search for a form.
6. In the search field, enter "Other Miscellaneous Income" and then click the "+Add form" button next to the Other Miscellaneous Income heading. Click the link I still don't see what I'm looking for at the bottom of the Other Miscellaneous Income screen.
7. Click the link Add another.
8. Click the link I want to add my own income description.
9. Enter "Required to file" in the description box and $1 in the Your total box. Click the "Save" button when done.
10. You can now proceed to file your tax return by clicking File on the left menu of your eFile.com account screen. If you are asked for a payment, contact us for instructions to file for free.
If you have any questions or concerns as you go through the process, contact an eFile.com Taxpert.
Start Free Now
Already have an eFile.com account? Sign In
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.