If your spouse does not have a SSN or ITIN, you can still prepare a tax return on eFile.com in order to include this return with your W-7 application form, but you will need to mail it to the IRS to file it. The IRS does not allow electronic filing of returns without a SSN or ITIN.
- Sign in to your eFile.com account and start a tax return and complete the Name & Address page.
- Enter your information. In order for your to be able to prepare a return, you will need a temporary SSN for your spouse or applicant for the ITIN. Please contact eFile.com to receive the temporary SSN.
- Click Save or Continue and follow all the steps. You can review the progress if your return in your My Account.
- Go through the checkout process and on Step 5 select No thanks, I don't want to eFile my return and Continue.
- When done, click on your My Account and download the PDF file for the given tax year.
- Application process to apply for an ITIN with Form W-7
Once you completed your return and downloaded it, print and sign your return and be sure to remove or X out the temporary SSN from your return, and mail it to the IRS to file it. The mailing address is under the W-7 application instructions.
ITIN application process. Again, mail in your return with the ITIN application. You do not also have to mail the same return to the IRS.
SSN Application process.
If you have an application for a SSN or ITIN pending, the IRS recommends that you wait to file a tax return. If you are expecting a refund and you do not owe any tax, you have 3 years to file your return and still get your refund.