How to File Taxes Without SSN or ITIN
What are the steps to take to file a return if you do not have a SSN or ITIN?
If you and/or your spouse do not have a SSN or ITIN, you can still prepare a tax return on eFile.com in order to include this return with your W-7 application form, but you will need to mail it to the IRS to file it. The IRS does not allow electronic filing of returns without a SSN or ITIN.
- Sign in to your eFile.com account and start a tax return and complete the Name & Address page.
- Enter your information. In order for your to be able to prepare a return, you will need a temporary SSN for your spouse or applicant for the ITIN. Please contact eFile.com to receive the temporary SSN.
- Click Save or Continue and follow all the steps. You can review the progress if your return in your My Account.
- Go through the checkout process and, on Step 5, select No thanks, I don't want to eFile my return and Continue.
- When done, click on your My Account and download the PDF file for the given tax year.
- Application process to apply for an ITIN with Form W-7
Once you completed your return and downloaded it, print and sign your return. Be sure to remove or X out the temporary SSN from your return and mail it to the IRS to file it. The mailing address is under the W-7 application instructions.
When you mail in your return with the ITIN application, you do not also have to mail the same return to the IRS.
ITIN application process | SSN Application process.
If you have an application for a SSN or ITIN pending, the IRS recommends that you wait to file a tax return. If you are expecting a refund and you do not owe any tax, you have 3 years to file your return and still get your refund.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.