Somebody Claimed Your Dependent(s) or Child(ren)

What to do when your dependent(s) or child(ren) were claimed by somebody else, such as an ex-spouse?

Article, Solution:

If you prepared and e-filed your tax return and the IRS rejected your return with the message that one or more dependents have been claimed on another taxpayer's tax return, here are the steps to take:

If you found out that you claimed a dependent incorrectly on an IRS accepted tax return, you will need to file a tax amendment or form 1040-X and remove the dependent from your tax return.

At any time, contact us here at or call the IRS support line at 1-800-829-1040 and inform them of the situation. Or take advantage of low-income tax clinics if this applies to you.

See more information on how to share, claim, or release one or more dependent(s) on a tax return. For state tax returns, select the respective state.

Tax Tip for next year: This might sound simple, but it's a technical matter. You have to get your return e-filed with the SSN of your child(ren) before the other person does the same. If anybody else tries to e-file after you with the same SSN, their return would be rejected.