IRS account, Tax Transcript,
How to access past tax returns, pay taxes or access your tax information.
Your IRS Account, Transcript Registration Process
You should register your IRS account so you can monitor the following activities in your IRS account:
- Your IRS Tax Payment Balance by Tax Year
- Create IRS Tax Payment Plans, learn about options etc.
- Access your Tax Records: Tax Return Data, Transcripts and Records
- View economic impact payment amounts e.g. Stimulus, Advance Child Tax Credit
- Copies of Notices, Letters from the IRS e.g. 6419, 6475
- Apply apply for an IP-PIN
When you register your IRS account here are samples of what you might need to verify your identity during the 15 minute IRS account registration process:
Free Online Tax Transcript | or Create, Access Your IRS Account
Or call 1-800-908-9946
Here is what you will need to verify your identity during the 15 minute IRS account and registration process through ID.me:
- A valid email address; check your spam folder during the process as you might get emails from the IRS.
- Your valid Social Security Number - SSN - or Individual Tax Identification Number - ITIN.
- The tax filing status of your latest tax return. Obtain a copy digitally or retrieve a physical copy.
- The mailing address on that tax return. Enter the exact address as shown on the last return. Note: If you just filed a return with a new address, try entering the old address as that might still be stored.
- In case of a PO Box address, enter 'PO Box" in the ‘Address Line 1‘ field with no periods and the number; e.g. PO Box 123.
- Military Address: Enter APO, FPO or DPO as the ‘City’ and select/enter AA, AE, or AP from the ‘State/U.S. Territory’ dropdown.
- A foreign address can only be registered for the online payment portal, not IP-PIN, transcript, etc. See more: information on taxes for foreign aliens and U.S. Citizens and resident aliens working or living abroad.
- Financial account number(s) linked to your name. For example, you might be asked to enter or select the last 8 digits of your credit card - American Express, debit, or corporate cards are excluded. Your financial information will be verified by Experian; some account numbers could fail the verification process.
- Loans: You might be asked to enter your student loan account number - the number might consist of numbers and/or letters, but does not include any symbols - provided on your student loan statement. Student loans issued by Nelnet can not be verified.
- Or, you might be asked to verify or enter mortgage information or home equity loan data.
- Or, verify or enter home equity line of credit or auto, car loan information.
- A mobile phone must be linked to your name; it must be U.S. based and able to receive text messages. During registration, you will receive a one-time activation code to your mobile phone number. You have limited time to enter this code.
- If you do not have a U.S. based phone registered in your name, select to receive the activation code by postal mail. Once you have the code, you have 30 days to complete your account registration. After that, you can download the IRS mobile app to receive codes.
- If for any other reason you can not register with your phone, request the activation code by mail.
- During the registration process or later, you might receive tax messages originated from IRS number 77958 or phone number: 202-552-1226. If you previously opted out of receiving text messages, send this text message: Text IN to 77958.
- No longer required: A mobile phone or computer with a camera. The ID.me registration process will require a "live selfie" which would use biometric data to compare your facial features to a government issued ID, such as a driver's license. The IRS is no longer requiring this as of February 7, 2021 due to backlash.
If you are unable to create an account with the IRS for any reason, there are two options to request a Tax Return Transcript by mail. Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery.
- Visit this IRS Get Transcript page. Scroll down and click the blue Get Transcript by Mail button on the right side of that page. You will need your SSN/ITIN, Date of Birth, and the Address on your latest filed Tax Return. After you enter that information, you will then be able to select which tax year you need a Transcript for.
- Call 1-800-908-9946 and request your Tax Return Transcript over the phone.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.