The IRS has been shifting from phone support to more online support options. Thus, we suggest to use online options first before you call as you might experience long phone waiting times.
IRS by Phone
As of 2021 the IRS live phone assistance is very limited and you might experience long wait times. The IRS is available from 7am-7pm Monday-Friday EST. The best time to call them is in the early morning. Attention: for stimulus related questions, only call this phone number: 1-800-919-9835.
When you call the IRS at their main number, 1-800-829-1040, you might be asked any of the following questions:
- Social Security numbers (SSN) and birth dates or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for taxpayers without a Social Security number
- Tax Return Filing status: Single, Head of Household, Married filing jointly, Married filing separately, Widow(er)
- Questions about Prior-year tax return, e.g. Adjusted gross income
- The tax year of the tax return you’re calling about
- Any IRS correspondence, notice, etc. sent to you
Visit this page for more IRS phone numbers by subject.
If you call on behalf of another tax payer:
IRS Tax Forms
Contact your respective State Tax Agencies