Options to Contact the IRS
How and when to best contact the IRS
The IRS has been shifting from phone support to more online support options. Thus, we suggest using online options first before you call as you might experience long phone waiting times.
IRS by Phone
The IRS live phone assistance is very limited and you might experience long wait times. The IRS is available from 7am - 7pm, Monday - Friday EST. and the best time to call them is in the early morning.
When you call the IRS at their main number, 1-800-829-1040, you might be asked to provide any of the following pieces of information:
- Social Security numbers (SSN) and birth dates | Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for taxpayers without a Social Security number
- Tax return filing status: single, head of household, married filing jointly, married filing separately, widow(er)
- Questions about prior-year tax return, such as your adjusted gross income
- The tax year of the return you’re calling about
- Any IRS correspondence, notice, etc. sent to you.
Visit this page for more IRS phone numbers by subject.
If you call on behalf of another taxpayer:
IRS Tax Forms
For state contact information, find your state tax agency where you can find contact details.
For further assistance, contact eFile.com; we provide person-to-person support and may be able to help provide information for a return you filed with us.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.