Site Menu

Student Income Tax Return Guide

Student Taxes

Here is a detailed overview of tax issues that you will face as a student. Think of this page as Student Income Taxes 101.

How Do I File a Tax Return As a Student and Get Tax Benefits?

If you are a student (or a young person who just got their first job), here are the tax-related steps you will need to take:

List Item 1 Find out if you have to (or might want to) file or efile a federal tax return: 

List Item 2 Learn about tax credits, tax deductions, and tax savings for students:

List Item 3 Complete a W-4 federal tax withholding form, apply for financial aid, and pay for taxes you owe:

Do I Need to File a Tax Return as a Student?

Answer a few simple questions in our Free "FILEucator" Tax Tool below to find out:  (Even if not required to file, you may want to for a possible refund.)

Do I Have to File a Tax Return?

Open the Do I Have to File Tax Tool in New Window

Learn more about whether you have to file a tax return.

Which Tax Form Should I File or efile as a Student?

If you fulfill the residence requirements, then you should file either Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ. When you prepare your return on, we will generate all the correct forms for your specific tax situation based on your answers to a series of simple questions. We will also help you to know which education credit or deduction you qualify for, and which one will be the most beneficial to you.

You should file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ if you are a U.S. nonresident alien. See our foreign student section for more information.

Do I File Separately or with My Parents?

There are conditions that must be met in order for your parents to claim your income in their tax return, which would mean you would file with your parents. All of the following conditions must be met for them to do so:

  • If you were under 19 or under 24 as a full time student by the end of the year.
  • The only income you receive is from interest and dividend payments, including payments from the Alaska Permanent Fund.
  • Your gross income was under $10,350.
  • You are not filing a return or a joint return.
  • No estimated tax payment was made for this year and no tax overpayment was made from the previous year or amended tax return in your name or Social Security Number.
  • No federal income tax was taken out of your income under the backup withholding rules.

Visit this page for more information on whether or not to file a tax return as a dependent.

What Are the Tax Deadlines? When is My Tax Return Due?

There are several important tax deadlines concerning both your federal and state taxes. Learn about important IRS tax deadlines and state tax deadlines.

What Type of Income Do I Have to Report on My Tax Return?

Even if you are a student, you aren't exempt from filing a tax return if you had income. For example, if you were self-employed for some portion of the tax year and earned more than $400.00 during that self-employment, you will have to file a federal tax return and pay the necessary self-employment tax (Social Security and Medicare). You may also be required to pay Medicare and Social Security tax on tips that you did not report to your employer or if you worked for a church or religious organization that was exempt from those taxes.

Is My Income As a Student Taxable?

There are many forms of income that students often receive which qualify as taxable income. Some of them are:

  • Pay for services performed, like wages, salaries, tips, ROTC active duty pay (for example, pay that you received during advanced camp during the summer--but not ROTC subsistence allowances)
  • Self employment income that includes but not limited to lawn mowing, babysitting, newspaper delivery, etc.
  • Investment income like interest and dividends received
  • Scholarship and fellowship money that is NOT used for tuition, any kind of school fees, or cost of required books and school supplies (you must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program)

For details on whether or not your income is taxable, review IRS Publication 531-Taxable and Nontaxable Income.

Remember that the IRS taxes a dependent's or child's investment income. If you are filing with your parents, they have to report the investment income. Otherwise, if you are filing separately and not with your parents, you have to report it since it's considered taxable income.

Learn more in IRS Publication 929-Tax Rules for Children and Dependents.

If you are receiving tip income, learn more about it in IRS Publication 531-Reporting Tip Income.

Find out if your student income is subject to federal income tax in IRS Publication 17-Your Federal Income Tax.

What Are Tax Breaks or Tax Benefits?

Tax benefits (or tax breaks, as they are sometimes called) include tax credits as well as tax deductions. Tax credits allow you to deduct certain costs and expenses from your total income, and they are sums of money that are added to your tax refund or subtracted from the amount of tax you owe. Tax deductions reduce your taxable income, and your total deductions are subtracted from your taxable income in order to determine your total tax bill for the year.

Both education tax deductions and student tax credits have certain qualifications and conditions that one must meet in order to claim them.

What Schools Qualify for Tax Benefits?

Any accredited university, community college, trade or vocational school, or adult/continuing education class will qualify for some or all of the student tax benefits described on this page. Regardless of whether you are pursuing a Bachelor's Degree, a Master's Degree, a certificate, or even a PhD, your post-secondary educational institution and degree of choice will probably be eligible for one or more of these student tax breaks.

Learn more by reading IRS Publication 970-Tax Benefits for Education.

Will My School or University Send Me a Document Showing That I Can Claim a Tax Break or Benefit on My Return?

Generally, you should receive Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, from your school. This form reports your qualified educational expenses to you and the IRS.

You may notice that the amount shown on Form 1098-T is different than the amount you actually paid. That’s because some of your related costs (such as textbooks) may not appear on the form. However, you still may be able to claim the costs as part of the credit. Please be aware that you can only claim an education credit for the expenses that you paid in the same Tax Year.

What Tax Records Should Students Keep?

It is generally a good idea to keep records for 3 years after you file a tax return. The IRS may select your tax return for an audit up to 3 years after you file it. There is also the possibility that a new tax break may be retroactively introduced, and you may need documentation to claim it. If you don't have much space to store all your records, you can scan your documents and receipts to store them electronically.

Can I Get Education Tax Credits or Deductions?

There are two types of education credits that you can claim on your tax return: the refundable American Opportunity Credit (formerly known as Hope Credit) and the Lifetime Learning Credit. The Student Loan Interest Deduction and Tuition and Fees Deduction are also available for 2017 tax returns.

Please note that you can claim only one type of education credit or deduction per student on your federal tax return each Tax Year. If more than one student qualifies for a credit in the same year, you can claim a different credit for each student.

To figure the total credit or deduction amount for an eligible student, you may be able to include qualified expenses, such as tuition, fees, and other related expenses (books, supplies, equipment, and other required course materials, but not room and board). In addition, these credits or deductions are subject to income limitations, so your amount may be reduced or eliminated based on your adjusted gross income.

How Else Can Students Save Money on Taxes?

Besides claiming tax credits (which reduce the amount of income tax you owe) and tax deductions (which reduce the amount of your income that is taxable), there are two other major ways students can save money on taxes:

  • Exclusions: Tax exclusions are parts of your income that do not have to be included in your gross income on your tax return. The most relevant forms of non-taxable income for students are scholarship funds and fellowship grants. Learn more about excluding scholarship and grant income.
  • Savings Plans: There are two special kinds of savings accounts which provide great tax benefits to students: Coverdell Educational Savings Accounts (Coverdell ESA's) and Qualified Tuition Programs, which are also known as 529 College Savings Plans.

If I'm a Foreign Student, Are the Tax Rules Any Different for Me?

The IRS does have special rules for foreign and international students, scholars, teachers, and exchange visitors. The rules largely depend on the immigration status of the person (resident alien, nonresident alien, dual status alien) and apply to taxable income and tax withholdings.

Foreign students who are resident aliens may be subject to some of the same taxes as U.S. citizens. However, if you are in the United States on a F-1 student visa (and you don't have a green card or don't satisfy the substantial residence requirement), you usually file your federal tax return as a nonresident alien. Unless you elect to be treated as a resident alien for federal tax purposes, you cannot claim an education credit for any part of the Tax Year. If you are a U.S. nonresident alien, you should file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ (find out how to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ).

Learn more about foreign students and taxes in IRS Publication 519-U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

How Do I Adjust My Federal Tax Withholding?

Filling out a W-4 form allows your employer to withhold a certain amount of money that is estimated to be the tax you may owe at the end of the year. However, you may be able to get some (or maybe all) of that money back after you file your tax return if it turns out you don't owe as much tax as was withheld.

How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?

When applying for financial aid, your college or university may ask you to provide old tax tax returns--either yours or your parents. To access an old tax return, you might need to obtain a copy or free transcript of a tax return from the IRS. A transcript of your tax return provides W-2 information along with the basic information that was filed with the tax return, including marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income, and most line items from the tax return. The tax return transcript can be sent directly to the institution asking for it.

What if I Cannot Pay the Taxes I Owe?

The economy is tough on everyone, and the cost of a college education is an even greater burden. Don't fret; the IRS knows that money is tight and they will work with you if you need to set up a payment plan to make good on any back taxes you owe. Learn more about help with paying taxes.

Having trouble with money as a college student, or just in general? Read about money saving tips for college students and for everyone.

Where Can I Find More Student Tax Help & Information?

Need tax help? Ask FREE Tax Questions!

Use our Free Tax Tools to help calculate taxes, or determine eligibility for credits.

 Find out what teachers and educator can deduct.

Find helpful student tax tips and other student tax information.

Read about common student tax myths.