efile.com Checkout Process - Direct Deposit, AGI, Sign Return, efile
Important: The IRS is no longer giving the option to obtain and enter IRS eFile PINs on efiled tax returns. You will need to enter your prior-year AGI to verify your identity with the IRS. If you do not know your AGI from last year and you do not have a copy of your last year's return, you can get a transcript of your prior year return from the IRS.
Before you begin the efile Checkout process, sign into your efile.com account. Then, follow the steps below:
Note: The instructions below contain images that are not interactive.
Step 1: Click "File" on the left side of your efile.com account screen.
Step 2: Click one of the green buttons to proceed to the next screen.
Step 3: After the system double checks your return, click the green "Continue" button.
Step 4: After reviewing the next steps, click "Continue".
Step 5: Select the return (or returns) you want to efile, then click "Continue".
Step 6: Click the "No thanks" button at the bottom to continue efiling your return.
Step 7: Review your tax return preparation fee(s) and select your payment option.
- If you have a promo code, click the "Have a promo code" link.
- If your tax return is a 1040-EZ, you will not go to the screen below. You will go to a different screen telling you that your return is free. Click "Continue" on that screen and skip to Step 10 (if you have a refund or taxes owed) OR Step 12.
Step 7 (Part 2): Enter the promo code in the white box, click the "Apply Code" button, and click "Continue.
Step 8 (Option 1): Enter credit or debit card information.
- Make sure that you enter the correct billing and address information. Otherwise, your order will not be processed. After four attempts, there will be a 12-hour processing delay.
Step 8 (Option 2): Enter information for e-Collect.
Click the green "I Agree" button on the e-Collect Agreement Screen.
Then, enter the requested information shown below:
Step 9 (Option 1) : Select how you would like to receive your refund, then click "Continue".
Step 9 (Option 2) : Select how you would like to pay your taxes owed, then click "Continue".
- If you are also filing a state tax return, your state taxes owed options will be listed on this screen below the "Your Federal Taxes Owed" section.
- For more information on tax payment options, visit our guide on how to pay IRS and state taxes.
Step 10 (Option 1): Enter your refund direct deposit information.
- Enter information for the bank account where you want your refund deposited. Your name must be on the account.
- To split your refund deposit up into 2 or 3 accounts, click the "Add another bank" link.
- Please double check your entries. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, you will not be able to change the direct deposit information.
Step 10 (Option 2): Enter your taxes owed direct debit information.
- Enter information for the bank account where you want your tax payment to be direct debited by the U.S. Treasury.
- Please double check your entries. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, you will not be able to change the direct debit information.
Step 11: Begin signing your return.
- If you filed or efiled a 2015 federal tax return by any method (online, on paper, on efile.com, on another website, or with a tax preparer), then click the green "Yes" button. Continue to Step 12.
- If you did not file or efile a 2015 federal tax return, by any method (online, on paper, on efile.com, on another website, or with a tax preparer), then click the green "No" button. Skip to Step 13.
Step 12: Enter your prior-year AGI.
- If you filed or efiled a 2015 tax return last year, enter your 2015 AGI to verify your identity on your efiled 2016 tax return. You can find it on your 2015 tax return.The line that your AGI is on varies based on tax form you filed:
- 1040EZ: Line 4
- 1040A: Line 21
- 1040: Line 37
- 1040NR: Line 36
- Once you have your 2015 AGI, enter it in the white box and click the green "Continue" button.
- For more AGI help, visit our prior-year AGI page.
Step 13: Answer the question on whether or not you have an IP PIN.
- The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a 6-digit PIN assigned by the IRS to victims of attempted identity theft, and the number is different from the prior-year AGI you entered to verify your identity with the IRS.
- If you received an IP PIN, click "Yes" and continue to Step 14. If you did not receive an IP PIN, click "No" and skip to Step 15.
Step 14: Enter your IP PIN in the white box, then click Continue.
Step 15: Sign your return with a self-selected PIN.
- The last step before you efile is to sign your return. Make up any 5-digit number (except "00000" or "12345") and enter it in the white box. This acts as your digital signature.
- Agree to the Consent to Disclosure and click "Continue" one last time. Once this happens, we will automatically generate a PDF copy of your tax return (which you can find on the "My Account" screen).
Step 16: efile your return.
- This is where you actually efile your return(s). Check the "I'm not a rebot" box and click the green "E-file" button.
- Your return(s) will not be efiled unless you click the "E-file" button.
Step 17: Save and print your return.
- Before you sign out, be sure to save and print a copy of your return. Click "Save Return" to download a PDF file copy of your completed return(s).
That's it! Your return has been efiled. You will receive an email when your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.
About 24 hours after your return has been accepted by the IRS, you can check the status of your refund.