Prepare and File 1040 Tax Forms
The 1040 Form is the IRS income tax form. You use it to file a federal income tax return for a particular Tax Year. There are four types of 1040 Forms:
When you prepare and e-file your return with efile.com, you don't have to select any forms. Simply take a short online tax interview and we will automatically prepare your 1040 return based on the information you provide.
If you want more information on filing 1040 forms, read the following sections:
1040 Form Types and Details
Refer to the chart below for information on various 1040 types and how to file them:
||efile or file this form if
||How to file
||Form 1040 covers income, deductions, and credits such as:
From Jan. - Oct. 15
You are a nonresident alien if:
- You don't have a green card OR
- You don't satisfy the substantial residence requirements (you spent 31 days during the Tax Year and a total of 183 days over the past 3 years, calculating the total number of days by adding the total number of days spent in United States this year to 1/3 of the total number of days spent in United States last year, and then adding 1/6 of the total number of days spent in United States 2 years ago to that total)
Are you a foreign student? Find out how to file taxes as a foreign student.
Complete and print out Form 1040NR
You are a nonresident alien, but you can file Form 1040NR-EZ instead of Form 1040NR if your U.S. income only comes from the following sources:
- Refunds of state and local income taxes
- Taxable scholarship and fellowship grants
Complete and print out Form 1040NR-EZ
||You need to amend your 1040 income tax form. Learn more on when to amend your tax return and how to complete form 1040X.
Prepare, mail Form 1040X
How to File Form 1040
You have two options to file your 1040 form:
Efile your tax return (only available for current Tax Year 1040 form). When you efile your tax return, your return is:
- Processed faster so you get your tax refund in as little as 8 days!
- Significantly more accurate (an e-filed tax return has a error rate of only 1% versus 20% for traditional paper tax returns)!
- More secure than a traditional paper filing!
- Environmentally friendly!
- More convenient (learn about the benefits of e-filing your tax return)!
Start your free return now!
Important: Current Tax Year 1040X forms can be prepared online, but they cannot be efiled. You cannot prepare and efile Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ. However, you can download Form 1040NR (or download Form 1040NR-EZ), complete the form in Adobe Reader, sign it, and mail it to the IRS.
Mail your tax return.
If you choose to mail your tax return, it will take longer. If you are filing for a past Tax Year, you can only mail your return; you can't e-file it. Download the IRS Form 1040 for the corresponding year (find tax forms for previous Tax Years), fill it out, and mail it to a special mailing address that depends on which state you live in and whether or not you are attaching a payment to your return.
Where to mail Form 1040
When to File Form 1040
You should file your Form 1040 no later than Tax Day (April 15th for Tax Year 2018). Find a detailed overview of Tax Day deadlines.
More Tax Help
Ask us a Tax Question! If your question is simple and requires less than 5 minutes of research, it will be answered absolutely FREE!
Post Your Simple Tax Question Now
Use our Free Tax Tools including our Tax Calculator!